+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Said "I love you too" but I didn't mean it. Should I tell him? Help please!!

Said "I love you too" but I didn't mean it. Should I tell him? Help please!!

So I've been dating my bf for 7 months now. Things are going great.
    But after 1 month of dating he told me he loved me. 1 MONTH! I was so surprised because I barely even knew him and I felt like he barely even knew me. Anyway, I said it back. Yea, I said "I love you too" even though I didn't mean it. I know that I shouldn't have, but I was so shocked that I guess I kind of panicked and it came out.
    And we've been saying it to each other ever since. Now that I know him a lot better I truly feel like I love him now so nowadays when I say it, I really do mean it.
    This has been on my chest for a very long time and I want to tell him that I really wasn't ready to say it that night but I'm afraid that telling him might ruin things between us. But since we're getting really serious and even have started to make plans for our future I want to come clean and be open and honest about everything and I don't want anymore secrets between us.

My question is should I tell him? or should I just let it go because it happened so long ago?

Thank you so much. Any bit of advice is appreciated.

Don't tell him. There is nothing to be gained by this and it would just hurt him. Take it to the grave.

It's pointless to tell him now. Why cause problems when there is none? It's not that big of a deal anyways. The most important thing is you are in love now. That's what matters. Being open and honest in a relationship doesn't mean you have to dig up every skeletons in the past and tell him. Some things are best left unsaid.

I agree with the previous two posts. Don't tell him, you will ruin a possible strong relationship. Many guys know what they want, he wants you. Enough said. Take this to the grave, don't ruin something perfectly fine.

Why tell him now if you actually do love him now? That's all that matters!

umm. id take a different tact.
    when i told my gf i loved her it was after we'd been together for maybe 9 months, to which she reciprocated and said she loved me too. 6 months later we were talking and i said "when did u know you loved me" and she said something along the lines of "when i said it there was so much going on in my head and i knew that i wanted to spend all my time with you, but i didn't truly truly know that i seriously loved you, not just caused by loads of amazing emotions but more relaxed acceptance of love of couple of months later when we were playing scrabble over christmas"

so yeh, get the scrabble out and bring it up. its all about positive talking tho. dont say "i didnt love you then" say something more like "when i first said i loved you, you were making my head fire off all these amazing emotions, but now i know becuase im so relaxed around you that i seriously do love you so much"

..or summat?! i duno. lol

Thank you so much Eonbar!! This helps so much because I felt exactly like how your gf felt the first time he told me. (There was so much going on in my head and i knew i wanted to spend all my time with him, but i didn't quite feel like I seriously loved him just yet). And that iis exactly what I'll tell my bf. And when i'm ready to talk with him about it I'm definitely going to take your advice and use positive talking and begin the conversation with something more like "when I first loved you" as opposed to "i didn't really love you then".

Thanks so much again, you've been a big help!
    Wish you and your gf all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by xoheyxo View Post
    Thank you so much Eonbar!! This helps so much because I felt exactly like how your gf felt the first time he told me. (There was so much going on in my head and i knew i wanted to spend all my time with him, but i didn't quite feel like I seriously loved him just yet). And that iis exactly what I'll tell my bf. And when i'm ready to talk with him about it I'm definitely going to take your advice and use positive talking and begin the conversation with something more like "when I first loved you" as opposed to "i didn't really love you then".

Thanks so much again, you've been a big help!
    Wish you and your gf all the best!
    bitch cheated on me 6 months back. HA! probs shoulda used passed tense....
    still...

i don't see why you could'nt tell him now.
    It's normal that your feelings grow, so why make this a problem or 'a secret to take to the grave'
    it is on your chest, so just tell him.
    Isn't it more important that when you say it now, you mean it?

Micheal Boltons sings a song with the title

This is one reason why "love" is a meaningless word.