+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Telling my best friend I like her?

Telling my best friend I like her?

I'm a guy, and my best friend is a girl. I've liked her for about six months, and about 4 months ago, she got together with somebody else. About 3 weeks ago, she broke up with him.

We're really close, and there have been plenty of rumors about the two of us liking each other. We've talked a bit about it, but nothing really came out of that. I'm 99% sure she's figured out that yes, I do like her. And her flirting with me, etc., hasn't let up after that.

I'm going to talk to her again tonight. Thing is, I'm afraid she might be getting back with her old boyfriend of a few years ago due to her being around him lately.

If she tells me that she does like him again, what do I do? Do I still tell her that I like her even if I have no chance? Or do I deny it, even though it's not true?

Don't deny it. Honesty is the best policy here. It's okay for your friend to know you like her! She'll probably be flattered to know, and it shouldn't ruin your friendship (dating and then going through a horrible break up will ruin your friendship, but not just sharing your feelings).
    Make yourself happy and don't focus on making your lover happy. Your lover will be happy to see you happy. Allow them to make them-self happy so you can be happy seeing them happy. If they are not happy seeing you happy, or you are not happy seeing them happy, then it's time to leave each other and find that happiness elsewhere. Life is too short to bother with any other emotion for longer than absolutely necessary.
    -Shela Aetherius

Telling her you like her will plant a seed in her mind that even though presently she doesn't feel it, but perhaps one day it will blossom into a flower of love. If you never told her, you will only live to regret it. Your friendship will remain as long as you don't start acting differently around her even if she doesn't feel the same. Keep it lighthearted. I have told my female bestfriend I like her once on Valentine's day but she didn't feel the same. One year later, she told me she likes me. It does happen.