+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Platonic friendship or what is this?

Platonic friendship or what is this?

Hey,

I'm not really sure how to start this, but I'm just gonna tell you what's going on and maybe one of you guys can tell me what this is First, pleas excuse my English, as it is not my native language but I'll try my best!
    So...I've meet this woman. Actually, I've meet her a few months ago because we're studying the same thing at the university but we never really hung out or talked. That changed about the time right before christmas when we were together in a class and started talking...I kinda developed a crush on her, but it was tricky as we were in in a lot of classes together and I didn't want to make it awkward if she didn't like me. So, like 2 months ago I had the courage to ask her out to go to a poetry slam. When we got there it was alreasy sold out, so we went to a shisha (waterpipe) cafe and really had a great time. Laughing, sharing stories etc.
    A few days later I asked her out to go see a movie, she first agreed but than canceled because her parents were unexpectadly coming to town...I wasn't really sure if that meant she didn't have as a great time as me or if she really had other plans.
    Second time I asked her to go to the movies, she directly said she had no time (but REALLY put emphasis on the fact that it was because of a time constraint), but I thought that I got the point and wasn't going to try again.
    Like 2 weeks after that she mentioned that she could get tickets to a pretty restrictive exhibition here in town, because she works at the congress centre and asked if I would like to have that ticket. I agreed, because it was really one of my fav topics and under normal circumstances I could never go there. She had to work when I was there, but I asked if I could buy her dinner to thank her for getting me the ticket. She agreed and through out the dinner and following strolling around town she repeatedly said that she was looking forward all day to hang out with me. After I drove her home we hugged, no indication for a kiss or anything.
    We're now about 2 weeks from today in the timeline
    We both had to study for our tests and were spening most days together in the library etc. and I asked her out again to go see a movie or something and she declined again without trying to reschedule. So...I was once again back to thinking that she just wants to be friends and was kinda okay with that...well not really, but I managed.
    This brings us to this sunday...we havn't talked for like 2 weeks (except some facebook) and she texted me sunday evening, "how r u", "why are we not hearing from each other". We meet yesterday morning because we both had to write a test and went out for ice cream afterwards (just the two of us) and walked around the city for a bit. We were standing in front of the movie theater and she asked, out of the blue, if I had already seen the movie that I asked her out for like 3 weeks ago. I said no, and we agreed to go in the evening (yesterday, that is). So we went to the movie (I paid for the tickets, she insisted on paying for popcorn etc.) and afterwards took a walk and had nice conversation, laughed a lot, like we always do. But throughout the whole movie, plus afterwards I saw no signs that she wanted me to make a move. She didn't have her hand on the armrest (so, no trying to hold her hand there...) and saying goodbye was just a hug again (long one though). She also told me something, that she "wouldn't want the others (meaning our other friends at the university) to know", which I thought as a good thing, because she views me as something different? She said she had a great night and would text me today.
    So...if I havn't lost everybody with this unbelievably long text...what's your thinking? I mean...we were - if you actually count - on three dates, and no kissing, not even holding hands. Under normal circumstances I would have moved on a looong time ago, but this kinda feels different. I really like her and feel this connection...we like the same things, we laugh at the same stuff...
    But I can't really do this anymore, it's driving me insane and I'm not actually somebody who usually let's a girl walk around inside my head all the time...
    Again, please excuse my English I hope Iexpressed myself understandable.
    Thanks in advance for your answers!
    Last edited by Steve89; 20-04-11 at 01:59 AM.

It sounds like she is interested, but it sounds like you haven't made any moves. Next time you go out with her, don't wait for some signal, just give her a kiss goodnight. It is probably up to you to move things along.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!