+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Does it cost money if you call from hawaii to san francisco or mainland USA?

Does it cost money if you call from hawaii to san francisco or mainland USA?

I'm dating this guy and he was on vacation in hawaii and he said that it cost money to call me in SF. He was on a cruise and he said when it moves from one island to the next it cost money.... The heck? Hawaii is in America.... does it really cost money if you switch it from island to island because its international? Did he never studied the history of hawaii? Hawaii is USA right? -.-

I feel that he is lying to me. he promised he will call but he never did... poked me on facebook but never left message on my wall or messaged me. he has a blackberry and can go on the internet? wouldn't that charge him too?

I heard that if you go to a foreign place, you need to turn off your phone cuz people might call you and you might end up paying alot of money.

I think he is playing me..... what a douchebag... he ignored me before cuz of his own problem about whether I want to move in with him or not or if i want to have kids... n he needed some time to think... besides he said he still misses his ex n they been together for 4 years n thye broke up last year? This makes me feel uneasy... I can't stand it anymore... since he ignored me that time I just can't let that go... and sometimes I feel he doesn't really care...

he rather im me on AIM then call me?

My father lives in Thailand and I'm in Australia and it does cost him money to receive calls from me on his mobile. I'm not sure if this is the case in America but I know it does happen sometimes. Have a little faith, he might be telling you the truth.

Ok he probably is telling me the truth, but he hasnr called me since he got back sat n sun, n of course austrailar and thailand is different cuz they're long distance but hawaii is in america. he could have called for like 2 mins disregarding the phone charges cuz it not as expensive as international rates
    Last edited by iamminzy; 09-05-11 at 05:03 PM.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If he wanted to call you, he wouldn't mind to pay few dollars for the call.At least my bf doesn't mind and vice versa.Here is your answer.
    I wazzzz here

B) Kind of my opinion (don't take it too seriously), because I used to study in Hawaii 5 years ago and to call my best friends was not cheap (this included my first crush & my now ex).
    Where I live and the kinds of jobs I do only manages to cover basic needs and a little extra, so I try to avoid all possible spending except for some worth while occasions.
    This is something my ex was aware of.
    However I would pursue the options for free communications if available or cheap. Example, skype, and I'm even allowed to use it at work, so she and I can talk without any cost. Even if we have to pay for the Internet, it's monthly rental and cheap. And if mic's are not available, IM/Chat or Text messages are the next best thing during these long distance relationships.
    Although I would rather call and talk to her on the phone, in my case it's not something both of us could afford to do every moment of the day. And she had free outgoing calls from her workplace.

In your case, this guy could put in more effort to find a way to communicate freely if costs do concern him.
    It is possible because he's on a cruise that they have some sort of rental for using the Internet which can be notoriously high (seriously hotels charged a lot for Internet usage back when I had to use them). And if his phone connection doesn't have any cheap plan for out of state use, then it could become costly, as was with my phone back then and I learned the hard way.
    But from what I've seen, a lot of cell phone services have cheap out of state/country plans for Internet. But for making calls I cannot be sure of.

So if he wants to use IM, maybe you should let him because it can be difficult to make a call.
    I would rather spend 100% of vacation time stuck on IM/chat with my loved one than to get a high bill that both of us would have to deal with.
    And like with Petit Papillon, I don't mind spending a bit to make a call or even just one call.

My first time studying in Hawaii, I had no Internet access & it cost a lot to call my hometown. I'm very lucky friends and family understood why I could not call out regularly.
    Last edited by RiderViper; 09-05-11 at 08:10 PM. Reason: ...because making at least one call is worth it...
    -Any replies by me are purely my opinion and based on my experiences and inexperienced actions meaning some things I say are right and some are wrong. If it sounds like it, I am not giving a solution or answer to the problem. This is why I am not supposed to post on forums I read only from.

M.E.
    Kashan
    Rider Viper

My Sister Says: "You're moving on pretty fast."
    I say: "Would you prefer if I sit in a corner all day?"

Hmm... tough question. I know that to call my parents in American Samoa, it was more than $3.00/minute. American Samoa is an American Territory, and had a normal area code, but I still had to pay international rates.