+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm 16, he's 20...

I'm 16, he's 20...

I'm currently sixteen and I've known this guy for 5 years. Over the past year we have become a lot closer and he is now one of my most trusted friends. I've always liked guys my own age but never felt comfortable enough with them or liked them enough to act upon it. Recently we've started dating, holding hands, cuddling and a little bit of kissing. He knows my family and my younger siblings all look up to him. He takes his University studies seriously, doesn't smoke, is fairly responsible etc etc. He's one of the most interesting people I've met and I really enjoy talking and spending time with him. I'm not letting time with him interfere with my friends, family, school, sports and music but I'm just wondering if it's healthy for him and I to be dating? Seeing as we're in different stages of our lives? Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

i did it with my ex wife...thats why shes my ex wife now. hes grown, by the time you are you wont be the same person he likes right now. happenes all the time. id let it be.

Ehhh.....hes only 20...not exactly a grown man as far as Im concerned

Honestly, thats a tough one because you're both very young and only 4 years apart. People will look at the "legal age barrier' as a ruler which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since, in 2 years, you will be 18 and 22. Perfectly acceptable? Why? You're not going to be much different in 2 years than you are now. You'll both be in School - granted he will be getting ready to graduate.

Since your living in their house, as long as your parents approve of him I say its fine. If he were any older i would say no of course but its right on the edge as far as im concerned. Just my stupid opinion
    Last edited by surfhb; 24-05-11 at 07:28 PM.

Four years is nothing once you are a bit older. As a 21 year old I say anyone that age wanting to date a 16 year old is scared of women their own age group. They can't get a girl thier age so go younger

See age doesn't matter as long as you can handle your relationship. There are many couples who have years of age difference, its only about understanding each other. You don't have to worry so much about it. You are just 16 and after some years you don't know what will happen. I don't think you are serious regarding him , so you don't have to worry about it that much. Live your life as you are living now.

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb View Post
    Ehhh.....hes only 20...not exactly a grown man as far as Im concerned

Honestly, thats a tough one because you're both very young and only 4 years apart. People will look at the "legal age barrier' as a ruler which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since, in 2 years, you will be 18 and 22. Perfectly acceptable? Why? You're not going to be much different in 2 years than you are now. You'll both be in School - granted he will be getting ready to graduate.

Since your living in their house, as long as your parents approve of him I say its fine. If he were any older i would say no of course but its right on the edge as far as im concerned. Just my stupid opinion
    I disagree. The differences between 16 and 18 are pretty significant, from an emotional and maturity standpoint. Same goes for 20 and 22, and the gulf between 16 and 20 is pretty big. Won't be much of a difference when they're say 25 and 29, but for now it's there and pretty significant.

I'd have issue with a 16 year old child of mine dating a 20 year old.

I like to think of ages between partners less as a difference and more of a ratio. Instead of always being 4 years apart, as you grow older your age ratio approaches 1.

Quote Originally Posted by hello1 View Post
    Four years is nothing once you are a bit older. As a 21 year old I say anyone that age wanting to date a 16 year old is scared of women their own age group. They can't get a girl thier age so go younger
    You can only speak for yourself. I can say with certainty this is not the case for everyone, and I bet it isn't typical for most, either.

Age is an insignificant number compared to mental development or the feelings you have for each other. As a 19-year-old dating a girl I met in high school who's about to turn 17, I can certainly say I'm not "scared" of women my own age. And if I knew many women my own age I could definitely "get" someone that age. But I wouldn't give up what I have now.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Remember the age of consent is different in other countries.

This is not a United States forum.