+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can love be explained using biology and physics?

Can love be explained using biology and physics?

Is love just a physical phenomena (in the brain)? Can love be explained using biology and physics or is there more to it?

I love lamp.

That cannot be explained.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Biology and Psychology, but I don't think it has anything to do with Physics. Unless feelings are actually electromagnetic field that hovers outside of our body gravitational force and when it intersect another emotional field of the opposite sex, a spark occurs that we call love. hmm... perhaps. hehe

No, biology and physics (nor any other science) can adequately explain love.

Some feelings can be explained by endocrinology, but that isn't love, and it doesn't last. And before anybody tells me that psychology can explain love, you need to understand that psychology isn't a science, it's an art. If you can't get repeatable results from experimentation, and you can't quantify your results, it's not science, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    Unless feelings are actually electromagnetic field that hovers outside of our body gravitational force and when it intersect another emotional field of the opposite sex, a spark occurs that we call love. hmm... perhaps. hehe
    Well, if it wasn't for physics (and gravity) we would all be floating right now in the infinite outer vacuum and would never have a chance to meet each other, let alone fall in love - might have saved some grief for some of us.

We are just a set of molecules put together, so yes pretty much all of what we do and how we act has a biochemical explanation. Who cares after all. It's fun while it lasts.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by aspie guy View Post
    Is love just a physical phenomena (in the brain)? Can love be explained using biology and physics or is there more to it?
    Yes. Look up 'chemistry of love'. That fact doesn't make it any less special or joyful. Re: unweaving the rainbow.

BTW, all biology can be explained with chemistry and physics.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Right now, I am listening to Sirens of the Sea by Oceanlab, the perfect soundtrack to a discussion of love and science.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas_V View Post
    Well, if it wasn't for physics (and gravity) we would all be floating right now in the infinite outer vacuum and would never have a chance to meet each other, let alone fall in love - might have saved some grief for some of us.
    Well... actually there is a difference between Physics (the science) and natural phenomenons just as Biology is the study of life and not life itself. If there is no Biology there is still going to be life so if there is no science of Physics there will still exist gravity. It just mean we just won't understand any of it without these sciences. Just being picky here but I know what you mean.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    Well... actually there is a difference between Physics (the science) and natural phenomenons just as Biology is the study of life and not life itself. If there is no Biology there is still going to be life so if there is no science of Physics there will still exist gravity. It just mean we just won't understand any of it without these sciences. Just being picky here but I know what you mean.
    Even simpler is to just say 'laws of physics'. I'm sure that's what Nick meant. It didn't seem worth mentioning b/c its the concept that is important, Bonfire.

Do you have an opinion on the question? I'm wondering whethert our high-functioning autistic OP will come back. They are usually less terse.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I think that love can be explained using genetics and neuroscience.

I mean how else would you explain that so many men never get the attention of women while other men are surrounded by and have sex with beautiful women almost all the time?

I mean how else would you explain rejections and unrequited love if love is not a something that is happening deep inside a woman's brain?
    Last edited by aspie guy; 23-11-11 at 06:26 PM.