+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to let go....

How to let go....

You must learn to live in the moment.. simple as that. Live for today...throw yourself into whatever it is you are doing at any particular moment.. if you are washing dishes... just wash the dishes.. pay attention to the bubbles watch them pop..pay attention to how the suds feel in your hand..then the running water...

If you are driving.. just drive.. watch the road.. watch the cars.. read the signs.. no radio.. no talking.. just drive...

You bend down to pick a flower or maybe go outside.. dont think about doing it JUST DO IT.

DONT THINK.. JUST DO.. you are what you do NOT what you think!!!

You will eventually become better at everything you do as long as you try not to let your mind wander from what it is you are doing in the present moment

Try to have fun with whatever you are doing in that moment.. enjoy yourself in the moment, see the good in others and in yourself and everything around you.. see the beauty in yourself and in everyone and everything around you.

Pretty much STOP LIVING IN THE PAST.. there is nothing you can do to change it. Live in the moment and be positive.

Good luck. I am trying to do this every minute of the day.. and believe me it is HARD.. but if i can do it anyone can.

I like the moment the Jack and coke hits my bloodstream and everything just feels better. And there is no worry. No anxiety. And I know I will be fine. Aside from the alcoholism I mean. Good post.

I think this method of turning off higher thought it just another way of bottling things up and creating problems that you'll have to face eventually further down the road.

Embrace your emotion, feel your pain, and you'll learn to live with it and move on.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    I think this method of turning off higher thought it just another way of bottling things up and creating problems that you'll have to face eventually further down the road.

Embrace your emotion, feel your pain, and you'll learn to live with it and move on.
    my point is you cant change the past and you dont know what the future holds.. the only think you can control is the present. I wasnt suggesting not embracing emotions etc.. but constantly replaying thoughts does no good.

Great post, DH. Dwelling on negative thoughts is extremely self destructive. Enjoy the here & now whilst learning from past mistakes.

*Moonwalks to the bar to buy his fellow LF.net Brosephs & Brosephines a drink*
    - The Bringer of Rain

Wholeheartedly agree. The key is to live in the moment and mentally forbear from relating every single thing that happens in the present to some moment or experience you shared with them in the past. Ughhh I remember when even bus stops, or a black car, or something that should be equally meaningless would set me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post

Entirely down to the individual i think, but personally i found a method of both worked. When the breakup first happened it was out of the blue and so hard to deal with that the way DH described was the only way for me to get through. After a while i became better at coping and then could face thinking about things more without it crippling me in despair!
    It seems like stages you have to go through to get out the other side.
    "Never make someone your priority, when to them you are only an option"

I am a big believer in living in the present moment but it is so bloody hard to put into practice sometimes!!
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    I am a big believer in living in the present moment but it is so bloody hard to put into practice sometimes!!
    Oh i know it is... but keep doing it and it will become second nature.....

Yaaa!!! you sounds like my type of personality just DO! do not think,
    Just cross the street but do not think about it or try to see if there are any cars coming.
    Do not think before you speak even if what comes out of your mouth just sounds completely stupid, who cares!!! you were not thinking anyways.

If you are the type of person that dwells in negative thought then ask your self,
    Why I'm I the way I'm? there is always an answer for everything.

I use to be a sad person always dwelling in the past thinking of what I could have done to fix things or blaming others for my misery also resenting people who hurt me but then one day I learned through some one very wise that all I had to do was forgive to let go and be able to be happy so then I thought maybe he is right, so then I continue to try to forgive but then I realize that it was not easy, I actually had to go to a group thing to be able to open up with others etc.... I remember going back in my mind when i was a child looking at all the negative things but this time I had to look at them from different perspective not just my own then I forgave verbally so then I continue in my thoughts and went back again into my childhood but this time all I thought about was the good things only and I told my self see life is a balance why then do we focus only on the negative? I was happy at the end of all this emotional game.
    If we choose to ignore our feeling, they will only become stronger and if they are there is because you have got some fixing to do. So do think but think right.