+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do guys like being told they're sweet?

Do guys like being told they're sweet?

Just curious.

My guy is very sweet - he worries about me at the moment (my best friend is in intensive care in a coma) as I'm not coping. He says all the right things, does all the right things to show me he cares and that he's there for me. Tonight I told him he's sweet - and he seemingly shut down.

Whats the verdict guys?

I enjoy it. On the other hand I always hear that from friends so I might associate it with "Don't you think we should just be friends?" which would be a major turn off.

My girlfriends tell me this all the time. Honestly, I'm tired of it, it does not do much for me. I like to be shown affection in other ways like: buy me my favorite chips, massage my back, or try something new with sex. Everyone has their own "language of love", so learn what your partner's language is, and do things for them that they understand and need.

When a non-girlfriend says this, it means they will never ever want to date me. Hence they get ignored.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I think men can sometimes take being called sweet a little patronising. Its like being told, 'thanks for trying'. I know not everyone does stuff like what your boyfriend is doing just to get a reaction, but when you do get a reaction, I think being called sweet is a bit of a negative thing to a man, even if they know that its meant to be a compliment. I think it may also to do with masculinity (when I say that, i don't mean in the macho way). A man is supposed to be emotionally strong and confident, but when they are told they are sweet, then they are taking it more as a blow as they have failed at what they set out to do, even tho its appreciated.
    I hope any of this makes at least a little sense...

I don't mind if my wife calls me sweet. I do usually make the "shushing* gesture and say "Shhhh... don't spread it around. I've got an image to uphold", however.

not really. definately not in public.

Don't mind it if its not in public. Around my friends don't give a crap either because of they say something stupid its nothing that a cuff to the back of the head won't cure lol
    Getting over a broken heart is like being on shrooms. -MaidenMinx

I'm not a guy, but I usually get a much better reaction telling men "You're so good to me," rather than calling them sweet. A kiss can go a long way to say thank you too.

Yeah, as above, might as well have called him a bufter....

I don't mind if a girls tells me they think I'm sweet.

However, I prefer it when the show me that they think it.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

tremolo Guest
    When I'm with a guy, or very into a guy, 'You're so sweet' is usually followed by some extreme display of sexual affection.

I'd find it hard to believe a guy wouldn't like that pronouncement when it's followed by sex.

Haha, I guess you can make any phrase into a trigger of arousal with some Pavlovian conditioning

tremolo Guest
    When men associate their being sweet with sex, it works out to a woman's advantage Good for everyone involved.

Oh, you devilishly cunning manipulator, you

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    When I'm with a guy, or very into a guy, 'You're so sweet' is usually followed by some extreme display of sexual affection.

I'd find it hard to believe a guy wouldn't like that pronouncement when it's followed by sex.
    Your vagina isn't a weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast