+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I dump him?

Should I dump him?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year now and recently I broke it off with him. He got really drunk one night and he called his friend and I heard him saying that he wasn't sure if he really wanted to be with me anymore and that he wasn't sure if he wanted to get married to me because of our age difference (i'm 20, his 26). He also told him that he wishes he hadn't screwed up things with another girl he knew before me and that she was a "goddess" and she even wanted to marry him and that he wished he hadn't screwed things up with her.

I broke things off the next day and he told me he didn't mean any of those things and that he was so drunk and just said them. But if he didn't mean those things, why would he even be thinking them in the first place, drunk or not? He also told me the only reason he talked about the other girl is b/c of the songs he was listening to that night reminded him of his life years ago.

Am I doing the right thing by leaving him?

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Drunken words are often sober thoughts. Yep, dump him.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

i believe you are doing the right thing. if he didn't mean it, why did he say it? he should be saying those things about you, not someone else. he hasn't moved on, you should!

Yes dump him. Someones true inhibitions come out when their drunk. His sub conscious thoughts have surfaced.

I agree. In vino veritas - the things you wouldn't admit when you're sober because of shame/fright/ethics etc generally come out when alcohol loosens your boundaries. It sounds like it was gonna end anyway sooner or later so it might aswell be now.

We don't say things when we're drunk that we've never felt, we say things that we'd been too inhibited to say sober.

Yes, you're on the right track - dump him.