+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Tips for Long Distance Relationship

Tips for Long Distance Relationship

My girl friend and I are having a long distance relationship. I love her very much, but I won't be able to see her at least for a year. Is there any tip for comforting her while I can't be with her? If anyone has long distance relationship experience, please share it with me!!

Since we can't see each other, my plan is to let her know my daily activities as detail as possible.
    Even though I love her all the time, but should I say I love her all the time? I am really afraid that if I mention about love too much, she will feel lonelier because I can't be there with her...

Please, please, please... give me some suggestion.

A year is really long, man! LDRs are tough, bro. Most of them don't work but some do. I've been in a relationship where we were away from each other for 5 months.

Ok some suggestions/tips (from experience) :

* Communicate via email/skype/facebook/phone but don't do it every day. 3 times a week is good. You want her to miss you and look forward to hearing from you every time.

* Again don't always tell her your daily activities in detail but do share your highlights of the week, funny/interesting things that happened this week, etc.

* Tell her you miss her from time to time. I once told my now ex gf "It's very hard not to miss you when you're not around, Anna." I didn't think much of it but she said it made her day.

* Sometimes message her just to say have a nice day

* Don't tell her I love you all the time but reassure her once in awhile.

Well that's all I can come up with. I hope other forum members will come up with more suggestions.

Look mate, it's not gonna be easy but if it is to work which I hope it does, it will require some effort from both of you, like in any relationship. Stay committed and keep things exciting and real. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience!! I appreciate that a lot.

I hope you do but it wont last......sorry

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb View Post
    I hope you do but it wont last......sorry
    Why even post that....

For sure it can work but it will not be easy, are there no possibilities you can see each-other before a year? I think JB's tips are helpful as well. All the best to you!

Suggest that she finds somebody nearby who can comfort her?
    A year apart will be impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Suggest that she finds somebody nearby who can comfort her?
    A year apart will be impossible
    very difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

I agree with most of the ideas from jb1111983. I was in a LTR for over 3 years and it was difficult but the key is to just let her know you're thinking about her. My ex used to send me texts to say goodnight or call me in the morning to wish me a good day and it was really sweet. You don't need to be on the phone or FB all the time though, just give some reassurance that you miss her.

Another really sweet thing is that he used to write me actual love letters and send them in the mail. I would take that over flowers any day. Oh and don't listen to the haters, it is possible. It's hard and you have to make time for each other. Make sure you're on the same page, moving in the same direction. My relationship ended because neither of us wanted to move to the other's city so it had to end. If you are willing to compromise and put in the effort to bring your lives together, then it will hopefully work out.

All the best!