+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Do I have a chance with my physical therapist? (already kinda a thread about this)

Do I have a chance with my physical therapist? (already kinda a thread about this)

Is there any way at all for me to have a chance with my physical therapist? I'm sure there is a code of ethics that prevents dating patients and I think most PTs would probably be hesitant to flirt if they were interested out of fear of getting sued or getting in trouble by a superior.

Anyway, I'm being treated for a weight lifting injury and there is an intern that is basically my age (just graduated college) who is very attractive. She is nice, but I haven't noticed any obvious signs of interest. As per my usual custom, I have started to overanalyze the situation. The second day she had treated me I started asking her questions like: "so why did you choose athletic training, did you play a sport in high school?" She talked with me and asked me a few questions (but did not go out of her way too much).

When she was unhooking the machine from me she took the arm brace off and all the wires from one of the machines were tangled up in it and she laughed (she had sort of chuckled before, but had seemed like a pretty serious person so far) and said in a enthusiastic manner: "you're all tangled up!" Then when we were done, I asked her if she could do manipulation again (not like massaging or anything) since it seemed to help the day before and she was like "oh, yeah we can do that". She did it and then looked at me and gave me a big smile and walked over to another table. I looked over at her and asked how many times in a session was common for the manipulation she did and she told me 2 or 3 times. I said "oh ok" and she asked me "so do you want me to do it again?". I said "do whatever you think is best" (or something like that) and I can't remember exactly but I think she kinda smirked at me and came over and did it once more. After we were done and I was leaving I asked her if she had anything fun planned for the weekend and she said "no, not really, just a friend's birthday party tomorrow". I told her to have a good weekend and left.

I'm sure I'm making all those things out to be subtle signs of interest when they're really not, but man did they really make me feel good! I keep thinking about it and it is driving me crazy! I sent her a facebook request on Friday (her name is pretty clearly displayed on her desk and since I talked to her about more personal stuff like high school, etc. I thought it would be ok) but haven't heard a response. I'm not putting a whole lot of stock into it though as I've had people take three or four weeks to respond before. Other possibility is she is serious about not having outside contact with patients.

Anyway, here is my question: Should I be a "responsible" adult and just enjoy her company as long as I'm getting treatment or should I try anything? Asking her out at work could be weird and if she said no I don't think I could go be treated anymore. I guess what I'm thinking is that the only thing I can do is hope she sends me some obvious signal to get me to ask her out and act on it, but like I said I don't know if she thinks she can flirt without getting in trouble somehow. She recommended I come by as much as possible (I asked her what a good approach was to treating my injury) so I'm trying to make time in my schedule to go and really look forward to going. I'm obviously not in love with this woman or anything, but thinking about her makes me crazy! I was thinking about ways to flirt with her that wouldn't make anything too uncomfortable if she wasn't receptive...

Anyone have any thoughts? Please? Advice?

No don't do it. Most places will fire a professional if they are involved with a patient or client.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I know that, that is why I would only be able to do anything after I quit seeing them.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    go ahead and flirt (mildly), but don't ask her out until your therapy is done. in the meantime, she may reveal whether or not she is available,
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?