+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriend beats me at every game imaginable

My boyfriend beats me at every game imaginable

I know that games don't matter in a relationship. But ever since we started dating (a year ago), I have been intimidated by his intelligence. He makes me feel so dumb and inferior and it's at its worst when we play games....any game, video game, board game, trivia game, table games...you name it. I hate always feeling like I'm his retarded girlfriend whose only useful purpose is sex. He seems to think I'm intelligent, and I have no idea why. He is a chemistry major, I am a business major.
    It seems to start with games, until my insecurities get to a point where I question why the hell he is even with me?! I wish I knew. He compliments me all the time on how sexy he thinks I am, but is that it? Is that all I am to him?

It is not bad that he finds you attractive. But it takes more than that to have a relationship. And he seems to like being with you, spending time with you, having fun, etc. I have two pieces of advice, and the second one is more important:

1) If you need him to tell you that you are smart, ask him to go into a little more detail for you. You two are just smart about different things, that's all. Ask him to play a game of Monopoly or something more business related and you will probably beat him.

and

2) Have a little bit more belief and faith in yourself. You are in college and a business major. You aren't flunking out. You are smart. You have to realize that for yourself. There will always be some people smarter and some people less smart. But don't ever sell yourself short.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Quote Originally Posted by stryped_soxx View Post
    It seems to start with games, until my insecurities get to a point where I question why the hell he is even with me?! I wish I knew.
    Not every guy is looking for intellectual challenge from their partner.

If he's never complained or seemed disgusted by your intelligence then he's probably looking for exactly what you're giving him. I bet you make him feel really good every time he beats you in something.

Devon is correct in his advice, you should play games more in your strength then his,but even so i wouldnt feel defective around him because even though you feel insecure he loves you for other reasons, also to be has intelligent as the other can cause more problems then you could believe.
    at least you can recognise his strength's but now need to find your's,its not really that difficult.
    Good Luck and enjoy this intelligent man and stop belittling yourself at least your happy in the other aspects of your life with him
    A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable.
    Robert Fripp

My boyfriend is the same way, he beats me at everything too. But the guy is a genius so I never expect to win anyway. I mean I consider myself to be above average in intelligence, I am at the top of my class. But he makes even me feel stupid. However I can own him pretty hard on call of duty, hehe....yeah I'm nerd.

Anyway, who cares if he beats you at games. They are after all just games. He clearly still thinks you are smart, so whats the problem?
    Let my kiss steal the breath from your lips...<3