+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to deal with a break up when you're still with the person?!

How to deal with a break up when you're still with the person?!

My boyfriend of almost 3 years is going overseas for a year with some of his friends and he thinks its best to break up so that we have some time apart to do our own thing.

Although he leaves mid next year, I'm already starting to grieve the relationship because I know that it will come to end, and it really sucks!
    Does anyone have any advice??????
    Maybe as to how I can manage my feelings until he leaves, and then after he leaves - or any kind advice would be greatly helpful as I find I'm sad most of the time and theres nothing I can do about it.

I think the best thing is to let go, if he has already said you should break up there is no point wasting any more time on it. Yes it will be hard but he obviously doesnt care that much if he has said this to you. It will be hard, it always is but you need to try and move on, he isnt thinking about your feelings and there is no point carrying on until he leaves because it will be a waste of time

Agree with broken on this. I would never stay with someone who has already made plans to break up with me when it's convenient for them.

Quote Originally Posted by broken6391 View Post
    I think the best thing is to let go, if he has already said you should break up there is no point wasting any more time on it. Yes it will be hard but he obviously doesnt care that much if he has said this to you. It will be hard, it always is but you need to try and move on, he isnt thinking about your feelings and there is no point carrying on until he leaves because it will be a waste of time
    I Agree with Broken6391.Whatever his motivation for freeing you both up in his absence, (and he could be making the best choice for both of you- Plus you didn't state your age bracket) He is dictating it on his terms. You need to take control of your own life ASAP. This could have the effect of turning the tables. Or at least getting it over and done with so you can move on. He is seeing your sad, down side at this point and that is never an attractive situation, nor emotionally healthy for you. But a show of strength and the independance to walk away from him on your own terms, is an equalizer. You will at least gain his respect ( and your own ). And he may find its not so easy to walk away from you when the shoe is on the other foot. Staying as you are for his convenience smacks of being a doormat. No one respects a doormat, lovey, they just wipe their feet on them until they are worn out, then throw them away and get a new one. Without mutual respect in a relationship. It is not worth having. If he wants to be free then he should have the gumption to say so and make it a clean break.

I would leave. If you know it is going to end then there is no point in continuing. I just cut it off now.

sadie_genie Guest
    He would only be a year abroad and he already made his decision to leave you behind. The relationship isn't as deep as you thought it was, is it? Time to terminate all emotional connections with him. You need to go out and find yourself a few guys to date to help you forget about him.