+ Follow This Topic

Thread: To finish uni or travel?? Please reply!!

To finish uni or travel?? Please reply!!

Hey!

I am 22 and from Australia. Since leaving school I went back to uni for a month and then dropped out. I spent a year travelling up northern Australia working on cattle stations which was really hard work but I really enjoyed. I also spent two years working in sheep shearing sheds around Victoria and also travelled up to NSW for a few weeks. It is possible to earn about $1000 in shearing sheds and as you are out in the middle of no where. I also learnt how to shear and done my CERT IV wool classing. I went back to uni this year studying Bachelor Arts/Management. Same as the one I started two years ago. I am almost finished for the first year and all I can think of is taking off working around Australia and going overseas. I also keep wondering if I am doing the right uni course for me.

I love working with animals, am practical and enjoy the outdoors. I think I would go mad with a 9 - 5 office job. I was thinking I would after finishing uni this year spend a year road tripping right around australia... working as I go... shearing sheds and cattle obviously... and then take off over seas. I would love to start off in NZ as I have family and friends there and could also work in shearing sheds there. Also would love to work on a ranch in America/Canada and then just travel through Europe etc. I keep wondering if I should persist with university though or try and change courses or just say stuff it and go travelling for 2 years and then come back to uni. If I persist with uni it would mean I probably wouldnt finish till I was 25 and then what if I had met someone. It would make it twice as hard to leave.

Anyway sorry this is so long. ANY replies would be great. Would really appreciate it! xx

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    I'm more of a conservative person so I'd look for a more stable job and save some money for the rainy days. Traveling around is fun and getting odd jobs would give you enough to do that i guess, assuming you won't ran out of it.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

The travelling would only be for a year or two. I would love to do a RTW trip. The way I see it as long as ive travelled and finished a uni degree by the time im 30 ill be happy.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't really see anything wrong with your plan, but you should know that the longer you are away from school, the harder it is to return.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with your plan, but you should know that the longer you are away from school, the harder it is to return.
    Hmmm I know... Thats what im afraid of... personally I hate uni and studying and all that.. within reason... but I know to get a good job thats what you need.

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    I never really liked school either. I learned more studying by myself and go to trainings and seminars rather than But in this day and age, it is becoming necessary. For me, I'd rather establish myself first before seeing the world. make sure that I have something to fall back on should times get bad.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

Yeah, finish uni before you do anything else. Travelling is for gypsies and sheering sheep sounds a ballache.
    Stay at uni and get some decent drugs down you and act like a twat. Youre only young once.

Maybe it's the course you are doing, I went to uni earlier this year for a couple of months then realised I totally hated my course, I am currently doing a course which I find much more appealing. Maybe part time correspondence would be a good option for you.

So why not study in the field of agriculture/agribusiness/animal science and then go travel with knowledge in your backpocket to set you apart from an average labourer?

I am 25 and I am moving abroad too. College is a bore and my graduation was delayed because I lost interest.
    I'll get there in 3 months (finally) and I think finishing college before moving abroad is a must if you ever want to graduate.
    If I had moved abroad earlier I'm pretty sure I would never have finished college and I would be screwed.
    I have discussed this with many people and there are very many examples of people that moved, never finished college and regret their decision in hindsight

Persisting with college is important in my homecountry. Without a degree you are nobody.
    You don't even have to have working experience. A degree is safety for the rest of your life and you are likely to lose it if you move abroad too soon.
    Just my opinion. Maybe you have more perseverance than I do
    Last edited by MynameisJesus; 27-09-11 at 03:10 AM.

Go see your school counselor or whatever you have there to talk about your options and what courses that are suitable for your new interest. Uni gets harder the older you are so it would be best to change course now, take what you should be taking and use what you have learned already in your travels as your practicom.

I made the mistake of going into a field I hated (commercial art, graphics design), I should have gone into the auto industry which I love and is a big interest to me. Too late now for me but it's not too late for you. If you wish to go to another counrty, go to uni there and work.

life is short and you have to follow your heart, education will always be there, even as a mature student... I know a friend who owns a farm in the UK and he is often looking for farm help

Uni is important obviously too, but it can also be expensive, failing that you could always join a [URL="http://www.wiseheartdating.co.uk/"]mature dating[/URL] site or something.
    Last edited by codnchips; 06-10-11 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by codnchips View Post

Uni is important obviously too, but it can also be expensive.
    That's because the UK is ****ed up and your government robs your students.
    Your costs for education are ten times as high as in most European countries

Quote Originally Posted by MynameisJesus View Post
    That's because the UK is ****ed up and your government robs your students.
    Your costs for education are ten times as high as in most European countries
    Yeah , true, but we is 10 times more cleverer as a result. and also our women get taught to shave their pits. worth the extra money i think.

I would say to finish your education. You may do nothing related to it but a degree will open more doors for you in the future.