+ Follow This Topic

Thread: seizures

seizures

I had one on Monday. Woke up and just couldn't shake the dreaming sensation so asked hubby to stay home to look after our little man since it's school holidays. I spent the majority of the day sleeping. Early after noon I tried to eat a sandwich, had a mouthful of energy drink and went back to sleep. Next thing I know I'm being walked down my front steps to an ambulance.

I spent quite a few hours in ER. I had bloods taken and a CT scan done. They asked about my drinking habits, which have been way off the charts lately (6 standard drinks in a day is not uncommon, though I haven't been drinking everyday). All my tests came back clear causing the Dr to state that the seizure was alcohol related.

What I didn't think to mention was how many bloody energy drinks I consume. I drink atleast 2 a day most days of the week. Is it possible that the seizure could have been related to the energy drinks rather than the alcohol?
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unless you had a previous history of having a seizure disorder, then I'd say no. I'd bet on the alcohol, too. 6 drinks a day for a woman is a LOT of alcohol, and you don't have to drink that routinely in order to produce a seizure. Your brain is telling you to get a hold of your drinking, and speaking as a nurse who has to detox drunks routinely, believe me when I say that you would die of humiliation if you saw how disgusting they are when they come to my floor.

I'm not trying to be unkind. I am just telling you the reality, in hopes you will be motivated to stop.

Also FYI - the time a person will have seizures from drinking is NOT while they are drinking... it's after they stop/pass out. And also while they are detoxing.
    Last edited by vashti; 28-09-11 at 12:25 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Thanks Vashti.

I must admit, I really don't feel like I drink a LOT. I know I have been drinking quite a bit but I didn't think I had crept in to the a LOT side of things.

Now that I have had a seizure, how much more careful should I be? I know I have to cut my drinking right back but should I be looking at permanently abstaining from alcohol? Even if they didn't contribute to the seizure itself, should I be more careful with the energy drinks? I am definitely boosting my general looking after myself, I'm just wondering how boring I have to get. :p
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The fact that you drink in quantities large enough to produce a seizure would make me want to say that you shouldn't drink at all, since you obviously don't stop when most people would. However, since you don't seem motivated to stop, I think you would have to ask a doctor/neurologist about how much you can safely drink. However, I am pretty sure they won't know, either.

My daughter had/has a seizure disorder for most of her life, and she DID have seizures (on occasion) after drinking an energy drink. However, I've never heard of an energy drink causing a seizure in an otherwise healthy person.
    Last edited by vashti; 28-09-11 at 12:32 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    MaidenMinx - If you want to, you can PM me any further questions, and delete this thread.