+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I just go for it?

Should I just go for it?

Hi, Me and my brother are really close and share most of the same friends even though there's four years between us, he acts older than he is (most of the time) and I act younger than I am (sometimes lol) so we sort of meet in the middle My brother recently started hanging around with the 2 boys next door, I get on with them both really well, one more than the other and my mum said to me a few weeks ago that she thinks we would be a perfect couple all of a sudden my brother got really angry and annoyed. Since then we've gotten closer and I can feel myself falling for him but I want my brother to understand and avoid conflict with him. I don't even know if this boy likes me back so I don't want to make a move and regret it.
    My brother is 16, so I want to just think he's being immature and if something did happen between us he would be able to see that I'm happy and be happy for me. I just really need some advice on how to go about it all. Thanks in advance

24/m/usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Soily26 View Post
    my mum said to me a few weeks ago that she thinks we would be a perfect couple all of a sudden my brother got really angry and annoyed.
    Did your Mom say that in-front of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Soily26 View Post
    My brother is 16, so I want to just think he's being immature and if something did happen between us he would be able to see that I'm happy and be happy for me. I just really need some advice on how to go about it all. Thanks in advance
    Ugh I hate 16 year olds. Your brother might not like the idea at first, but he'll have to learn to get over it. Maybe offer to hook him up with one of your friends or help him with girls? Add some excitement and keep the relationship hush-hush.

I think you should go for it... just don't do anything too drastic yet.

My mum mentioned it to my brother and he got all annoyed as for the boy I don't think he has any idea I like him lol I have no idea if he even thinks of me in that way. I'm not sure how to even find out lol :s I'm totally clueless when it comes to lads haha. Lately my brother has calmed down a bit about the whole situation which is great

40/m/usa

Your 16yo brother is hormonal and will be annoyed by any threat that might possibly change his friends. So be careful. Talk to your brother about it, find out (not from your brother!) if this other guy likes you. Then go for it. Your brother will get over it in about, oh, 6 years, when his hormones stabilize.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)