+ Follow This Topic

Thread: fear of getting engaged

fear of getting engaged

hi guys,I've been going out with the love of my life for two years and we have a wonderful relationship but last august I became overwhelmed by this feeling that we'd broken up..It was as though I was reliving a bad break up I experienced about 7 years ago. I was feeling down at the time cause one of my parents is very ill and I was starting a new job. I worked through these feelings but they seem to be happening again..I feel anxious about being proposed to even though I do know that I love my boyfriend to bits!I feel awful that these thoughts could ruin one of the most important moments of my life..would love to hear if anyone has experienced this and if so,how you've worked through it
    Thank you in advance!

If your significant other is serious about proposing and you know it, and your anxiety is strong, it could help talking through your feelings with him. It is possible you are not ready for marriage at this time. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Perhaps you need to get some counseling to get your feelings under control. Spend some time on yourself.

I think that if your even a very little bit unsure about marrying someone then you should say no. You need to be 100% sure. You should explain how you feel to him and be open about it. Why do you feel anxious though? Seems like the 'spark' has been extinguished?

It's not that I'm unsure about marrying him at all but I just feel anxious at the moment.I love and adore him and wouldn't be without him but I guess such a huge thing does bring some pressure!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irrationalfears View Post
    It's not that I'm unsure about marrying him at all but I just feel anxious at the moment.I love and adore him and wouldn't be without him but I guess such a huge thing does bring some pressure!
    Thanks
    Ah I get it, the pressure must be immense. If you get along with the guy great and the communication is there and he is serious than I see no reason why you shouldn't be married. If its feels that intense though than maybe you should be engaged but put the wedding off until you feel the pressure subside?