+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Don't have her cell#, can't call her at work, how to ask her out?

Don't have her cell#, can't call her at work, how to ask her out?

Long story short, I met a cool, interesting woman at a work-related function. She works for a different company, so there's no conflict there.

We had a good conversation. It was as flirty as it could have been under the circumstances. Now here's the dilemma: I can't think of any good way to ask her out. I couldn't have done it at the function, because it would have put her on the spot in front of coworkers. Even asking for her cell phone number there would have been weird. I do have her office phone # and work email. Knowing her work environment, me calling her up there and asking her out would probably be bad. The only thing I can think of is to ask her to get coffee via email, and I must admit I'm not in love with this option. It's pretty impersonal, and I'm a face to face kind of guy.

Ladies, how do you think I should ask her out?

Now, I have to say the first thing that sprung to mind - was the "accidental" and "coincidental" happening to meet her outside her office block (as we have all seen in films) LOL

But yeah, it's kinda hard when you have no personal way of contacting her (by that I mean mobile number or even facebook for that matter). You could start talking to her via her work email about perhaps something you guys said to each other at the work function - ie like a follow up email? Then lead it to a coffee and then take it from there????

When life becomes too tough and one feels the need to hide - one will start dreaming.

Email is fine....it's no different than asking someone out on FB or via text. It seems to be the way these days.

Use her email to ask for her cell phone or home phone number. If she's interested, she'll give it to you.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I have an update. I'll take any interpretation that anyone can give.

Both my schedule and her schedule are wacky through the holidays, and I knew that in advance, and we also live about an hour apart, but I figured I'd ask her to coffee anyway. I used email, as email was the only real way to do it, and I just kept it straightforward with a bit of humor.

The realist in me interprets her response as a no, but let me know what you think.

She said she's only in the state a half dozen days the rest of the year and work is crazy. But she said she definitely wants to get together after that and signed the email with talk to you soon.

I dunno. I tend to take anything but a flat out "Yes" as a "No." Is this worth trying one more time, say after the holidays are over?

Keep in touch with her via email, wait for the craziness that is the holidays to be over and try again. If she brushes you off again let it go and move on.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

See her in the new year....

Do you guys think this a blow off, or do you think she's interested?

Forget this noob. Dating a bird who lives over an hour away is a total ballache anyway. Shes in your state 6 times over christmas and hasnt got time for a coffee? Who is she, fckn santa.

Birds like this get on my nerves. Shes had her chance. Dont wait around holding your tadger waiting for this wench to honour you with 10 minutes of her precious time. I may sound a bit harsh but you didnt include pics and it pisses me.
    Last edited by mwahahaha; 23-11-11 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Really bad speeling

Haha thanks man. I appreciate your reply. I don't really like how she's basically rejecting me now, but saying we should get together in a month. It would be cool to have a woman be decisive for once.

Fru is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Hey, maybe she really IS busy. Don't just assume she's lying to blow you off ... that's pretty pessimistic! I too might say the very same thing to a guy that I was interested in if I was too busy to devote any real time to it. And I know what busy is -- I take generally 7 courses in one term at university. So yes, she might just be really busy for a while.

That being said, if you do get the feeling she's blowing you off (which it sounds like you did get the feeling of) ... maybe your instincts are right.

No way to know really, until a month goes by. Depends on how interested you were and how optimistic you feel, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies, people. I appreciate it. I get the impression that she is interested to some degree. How interested, I have no idea. It was a pretty easy "ask out" to say yes to. I told her I enjoyed her conversation and would like to chat again over coffee. She said she's busy now, but would like to get together in a month or so. That feels kind of wishy washy to me. I feel as if she rejected me, but also left the door open, which is confusing. I'm probably going to leave her alone.

Anyway, whenever I get the "I'm busy" line, I can't help but think: "But would you be that busy if Ryan Gosling asked you out?" Probably not.