+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Really need advice

Really need advice

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I really need advice though, and I didn't know where to turn.

I'm a male currently in a relationship (just over 1 year long). Everything seems great. We say we love each other a lot, enjoy spending time with each other, can laugh, talk, and hang out with each other. We understand each other very well and things overall are great.

The only problems we have occasionally are small spats, like I forgot to wash the dishes or something (honestly forgot, not purposefully). Also she's not a fan of one or two of my hobbies, but seems willing to tolerate them (nothing bad). We're both a little insensitive to each other on occasion, but those quarrels are always resolved fairly quickly just by talking them out.

Lately I've been worried though. I am very happy, but honestly I don't have much dating experience. I've only dated one other person before this. I'm worried that we can both be HAPPIER, but we don't know that because neither of us have a ton of experience dating.

Basically, I care very deeply for this girl, and we have a great relationship, but I'm worried that I only think that because I don't know of a relationship that feels better due to inexperience. I'm scared that if I decide to explore other dating options, and break up with the current girlfriend, I'll realize that I made a horrible, irreversible mistake.

Any help at all? Ask questions if you need something clarified please. This is really worrying me.

"Grass is greener" syndrome. Believe it or not, this isn't uncommon. You're happy in a relationship, but wonder if there is more out there. If you're young, you might want to act on those thoughts and go play the field a little bit more. The question is, do you think you could be happier with someone else? If yes, then go for it, give it a shot. Don't settle and sell yourself short.

I left a long-term relationship when I was 25, we had been together 3 years, the prospect of marriage came up, I was happy, but something was missing. I decided to walk away from it, I was young and doubtful. I was single for a year, dating a bit on and off, had a couple of short relationships, etc. almost 2 years after the breakup, I found someone new, someone who is everything I ever imagined - I took the chance, and it paid off (to date, it has only been 6 months, but thebest 6 months of dating I've ever had).
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

How'd you end up making that decision and carrying it through? I honestly have no idea...

Didn't know there was even a name for this haha.

Anyone else have any opinions? Really need some more opinions if possible

Don't do it.
    You will ruin your current relationship.
    Get that out of your mind.

Well the point is that I don't know if the current relationship is the happiest I can be due to inexperience. But at the same time, I'm scared that ending it in order to find out is just going to make me realize that I should never have given it up...hence the dilemma =(