+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dealing with her indecisiveness

Dealing with her indecisiveness

My girlfriend and I have been dating for nearly five months now. And when we're together, things are great. We have some snags, she wants to wait for marriage to have sex, I don't. But we usually manage to work through it.

But the one thing about her I cannot stand is how much she flip-flops on nearly everything. She's gone from "no sex till marriage" to "maybe soon" and back several times. She talks a lot about the future, about marriage and kids, about introducing me to her heritage's customs (she's Hispanic, I'm Caucasian). But when I bring up the future, she tells me not to talk so much about it. She told me she loved me while under the influence of alcohol, then recanted several days later. When I told her I love her, she freaked out, leading to this current status. Then, she said she wanted a short break, no more than a month. Then she decided against it, and asked me to see her at work. Before I could even do that, she said she wanted to have the break.

She's stated she's been in several bad relationships before me, while I have been in none (my reasons for this are complicated, to say the least.) Add to that nursing school, and she has a lot on her plate. But good God almighty, there is no way this can be normal! I do what I can to reassure and comfort her, but it seems that the closer we get, the more she freaks out and tries to push away. She says that the only guy she ever loved, she only realized it after he'd gone into the army and left her. She thinks that taking a break will help her see if she does love me, despite already having said it, and acknowledging that she's gone farther with me than anyone else she's been with.

I love her, I really do, and I don't want to let her go, but I'm seriously starting to wonder if its all worth it...

There is nothing more surer of breaking your own heart is to fall in love with someone who does not know what they want. If I were you, I'd take the break and as hard as it would be, I'd not contact her until she called you and told you outright that she wants to be yours. Quit jumping through her hoops. You enable her to not make decision when you go along with her every twist and turn.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion