+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is there a problem with my relationship?

Is there a problem with my relationship?

I recently started going out with this guy I met at work. Already, there are a couple of "issues" revolving around our relationship. One is our age difference. He's 26 and I'm 17. The age difference isn't what bothers me so much, more so other people (ex.my mom, friends, etc). I've already been told about the consequences and things that might happen.

So one major factor that troubles me a bit is that I only get to see him once twice a week. He's got 3 other jobs on him so it's a bit hard. We only really get to see each other when we work. Another factor is that he's from another country so his english is understandable and well enough to have conversations with...but there are obviously communication problems at times.

I do genuinely like him, but I'm not sure if he's all in it for the relationship as well. I feel as if there isn't enough time that we get to see each other and the time that we do spend together, is more like making out.

I just feel that I'm over thinking the situation and I don't know what to do with it, especially since he's my first boyfriend. Am I being played? Should it end? What should I do???

Your first boyfriend shouldn't be a guy who is so much more experienced than you are. It eventually hurts.

How long have you been together?

From someone who has basically been in the same situation, the age difference will eventually come into play. Even if you're looking at something such as he will retire before you, and may reach a crippling age or you'll be taking care of him. These things don't really come to mind "now". I was 17 when I started dating a 27 year old, whom I actually outgrew in my early 20's. Only within a few years I was an entirely different person and saw that I needed much more than him. Even though he was still a good person, whom I got along with very well. It helped that he had not had much of a history with women, so that part wasn't a concern. That would also come into play.

If you really feel strongly about a "connection" with him on a mental level, I would say maybe pursue a relationship. However, if it's not really that strong I would say continue to date around and explore some. If you weren't really going to be great companions this will become obvious. Perhaps keep him as a friend for a little while until you escape the late teenage life stage.