+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How long was it until you said 'I love you'

How long was it until you said 'I love you'

As above, just curious as to the earliest and longest responses

everyone is different. Some people takes them one date before saying "i love you". Other people are less sensitive and mushy and don't feel like they need to display verbal or physical affection. It really just depends on the individual. People express their love in different ways.

I never said "I love you" (meaning "I am in love with you" - I have said I love you non-romantically though) to any guy I was dating. My first ex boyfriend told me "I love you" only after I broke up with him (after 2 years and a half), in hopes of getting me back. My second ex boyfriend told me "I love you" about 1 year and a half into the relationship (we stayed together for another year). I'm 7 months into my current relationship and neither of us has said the words yet.

I know that it's different for everyone, that's why I'm curious too : ).

If you say "I love you" in a non-romantic way to a person you are dating, I think that is just confusing. I would avoid doing that.

For me (a man):
    Earliest: 2 months
    Longest: 6 months
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    If you say "I love you" in a non-romantic way to a person you are dating, I think that is just confusing. I would avoid doing that.
    In my language there are actually two very different phrases to express romantic and non-romantic love, so no confusion is made : ).

cultures are also different. I find that in North America we freely express I love you all the time and expect the three words returned to us...... yet people say "i love you" the same day they cheat on you behind your back. I dated my ex boyfriend for 7 years without either of us saying " i love you" very often....we probably said it a total of 4 times. Our relationship wasn't that affectionate....he wasn't that affectionate. He came from parents whom weren't affectionate and he's never ever said "i love you" to his parents, and so he didn't feel a need to say mushy words. He showed me he loved me in other ways though. My husband now told me he loved me about 2 months into the relationship, he is a very affectionate, sensitive man. It really depends on the individual and whether they are more sensitive/warm person or more secluded/cold person.

I am a guy. Shortest 1 month, longest 3 months.

^ you are a romantic aren't ya? A sensitive guy too i suspect...

I'm a guy. Earliest about 2 months. Latest about 4 months.