+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I get over him if I see him all the time?

How do I get over him if I see him all the time?

My boyfriend and I broke up a month ago, after a six year relationship. He was my first love and I was/am ridiculously in love with him, but we broke up because he was in a bad place where he wasn't sure about anything in his life anymore and he couldn't fully commit to me. That's how he put it at least, but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that maybe he just wasn't really in love with me and his issues only played a minor role in that. Still I can't keep a tiny part of me (OK, maybe not so tiny...) from thinking that once he's got his stuff figured out, we might be able to get back together. This is preventing me from getting over him but not only that, he also lives literally 2 meters away from me in the college dorms, we have half our classes together and we share the same friend group. we're friendly with each other and have recently sort of started to hang out together again, but with a bit more distance than before and on the one hand I am happy that we still have that because I really value him as a friend not just a boyfriend, but on the other hand... I'm never going to get over him like this. A month has passed and I'm still just as much in love with him as before, I cry when I think about what we had and I can't even imagine how I'll feel when he starts dating another girl.

In two months it will be summer holiday and I will be able to get away from him and maybe finally get over him, but I don't want to spend these two months pining after him and being hurt. What should I do? Please help.

!~First, my heart goes out to you. I was married to a man I thought was my best friend and soul mate and we also have a child together. Getting over him while still raising his child and of course seeing him was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I don't know that I will ever be totally over him, a part of my heart will always love him, but that does not mean he was good for me or that I'm going to waste my life pining away for him. I've cried plenty thinking of him with other women so I really understand what you are going through. It kinda sucks to hear this, but the best advice I ever got during my struggles was to stop putting my energy towards thinking about him and instead work on myself. Do something to improve yourself, join a women's group, make some new friends, focus on the quality of your own life first. There are many people and programs out there that can help if you do a little checking on the Internet. I've also wrote a few articles on the subject that may help you can check out on my website too. I would definitely recommend finding some different places to hang out or a few new friends that are not in your same circle. You need to distance yourself instead of just getting sucked back into his world. Hang in there it will get better. As you begin to work on yourself you'll be amazed at the new perspective you'll be able to see and how it helps your heart to heal.