+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parents won't accept my girlfriend

Parents won't accept my girlfriend

Hello everyone, I am hoping i can get some advice on what to do in my current situation. Here is some background info. Im 20, still living at home,
    and currently in a what i feel, is a great relationship. I have been dating my current girlfriend for the past 8 months, and things have been just peachy. However, there is one major problem effecting out relationship, my parents. Here is the whole story.

I met my current gf about 2 years ago. She was working at a hookah bar. At that time, she already had a boyfriend of almost 2 years, and was
    engaged. I fell for her the moment i met her, but she was obviously off limits. I let her know how i felt but that i would never pursue her because I'm not the type of guy that would steal another mans woman. From then on, we just occasionally talked when i went to this hookah bar. I eventually
    forgot about her, until she was hired by my sister. I work/ co-own a family business and work with my sister, father, mother, and brother. My sister
    hired this girl as her assistant, and i started to see her more often, but only engaged in small talk. Well soon after she started working in my family's
    company, i found out that she broke it off with her now ex, and that she was available. So i pursued her and soon after, we ended up dating. My parents found out after a couple months and where very resistant to us dating because we both worked in the same business, but at different locations. So she decided to quit so that we can finally be together without hiding it anymore. About a month ago, my parents had a talk with me, and told me that they don't like her. They don't like that fact that she lived with her ex boyfriend, and they feel that she is using me, and just a bunch of nonsense.
    I tried to convince them that she was not in fact using me, and that we live in a different age where couples do move in together. As you probably
    my parents are a bit old fashioned. They always make snide comments when i tell them I'm going to see her, and just act immature. I don't tell my gf all the things my parents have said because that would not be a good idea, but it is really bringing me down, and it just ruins my days. I love my gf, and we have such a great time together, yet when i come home, my parents just ruin that day for me. Thank you for reading this long post, and i appreciate any advice you people have to offer.

You obviously want to be treated like an adult. So live like one. Move out and tell your parents that your love life is none of their business.

Are you Persian by chance? If so, that's a tough one

I'm middle eastern, your good

Thanks for your post

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are only 20, so it is unlikely the relationship you have with this girl will lead to a marriage, so why don't you just tell our parents that? It might help them to calm down a bit.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

As soon as I saw hookah I knew you were middle eastern or something along those lines Good luck my friend haha

Your parents may have their opinions, but you need to make your own decisions in life. You are old enough to move out and do what you feel is right. If you are worries about them, don't be. You can respect their feelings, bu let them know that you are old enough to make your own decisions.
    Get your ex back by using some simple techniques that really work for any situation.

->> http://howto-getbackwithyourexgirlfriend.com/ <<

Quote Originally Posted by Little delights View Post
    I'm middle eastern, your good
    Ha! Well....Hookah and over bearing parents are 2 good clues on your ethnicity. Only thing I can say is have another good talk with them.....if that doesnt work then you have no choice then to put up with their BS till you move out. I know thats easier say than done

Your parents are being very unfair from the sounds of things... I think you should sit them down and make it very clear that regardless of what they think of her, she is the girl you have chosen to be with, and that all their comments are doing is jeopardising their relationship with YOU. Tell them their values are not your values or those of the society they are now living in. Let them know you won't put up with them badmouthing her in front of you, and don't. If they make comments, leave the room. Hopefully they will get the point. If not, I think moving out as soon as you are in a position to do so is the best solution. Remember this girl could be ANY girl they don't approve of for some reason and you would have the same problem, - you're not choosing between her and them, you're choosing between your right to live your life how you want to and them.