+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What happened?

What happened?

OK, I'm a bit confused.

I'm gonna type out a Facebook convo I just had with a friend of mine. We've always been friends - and its come close to being closer than that - but when it got really close we kinda backed off and didn't speak to each other for ages. She got another boyfriend, and maybe once every couple of months for the last two years we'd speak or see each other randomly and talk for a while - then when the conversations started getting long she'd just stop and we wouldn't talk again for months afterwards. Sometimes we'd reminisce about times of old and she'd say stuff like 'Naww we were sahh cutee' and then that's the last we'd say to each other for ages. Anyway - I don't care for this weird business. You know, I'd love to go out with her - but if that can't happen - she has another boyfriend now -then I'm content with just being her bestfriend again... but this doesn't seem to happen.

Anyway, it just so happened that recently my buddy and I were out at the shops and we bumped into her. My friend stood awkwardly while we had a nice chat - then we had to go. So, after that she messages me on Facebook to say that she really wants to get invited the next my mate (Chris) and I hang out. I told her that tomorrow we're going to another store in Hornsby with another guy (Simon) to look for wigs for the guitarist of my band to wear for an upcoming rock concert. She says that she can come, and that she really wants to come (even posting on my wall something like "LETT MMEEE COMEEE!!!".. so that's where this convo starts:

Her: I work at Hornsby I can show you around! We have a pink Wig at my work!!!

Me: I don't suppose you have a gorilla mask hanging 'round beachville or whereever it is you work? Chris is looking for one. He's inspired by the drumming cadbury gorilla.

Her: tell Simon to come too! my friend Madison thinks he's hot... SHHHH... i don't have a gorilla mask (( just the pink wig, but can i come tomorrow i'll bring madison come to penno ok ok deal

Me: Ahaha, Simon has SQUASH - can you believe it? I didn't know that game still existed. But we're trying to get him to dog it - although his 80 year old squash partner (the sicko) might get angry. I'll do my best But I'll also have to convince Chris, I think he's scared of you.

Chris said, "whatever, as long as we buy wigs and not dresses."

Sick burn.

Her: huh? chris's mean wa face i won't go

Me: that's about as good as you get out of chris. he didn't talk to me for his first two years at school.

Her: he doesn't talk in general aha

[She randomly posts some song of two girls playing music with empty butter containers]

*we have a chat about it, I crack a few jokes to see her mood etc. - at this point I'm unsure if she actually pulled out for tomorrow... for example*

Me: I've got to admit - they're the best butter-box players I've ever seen.

Her: margerinie fool

Me: oh, well I've seen better margerine box players. average.

Her: ahahaha
    do it for the rock concert!

Me: Actually, me and Dave are thinking we do an a capella of this [post video of some terrible 'Hot Problems' song as a joke]

Her: stop distracting me i need to do work!!

---- and then she just literally never posted again -----

Can any of you detect any undertones in this conversation that would indicate what happened? There's absolutely NO way that what Chris said would have affected her. I won't waste your time by posting why, but I'll just tell you that this is absolutely not the case - I feel like she was just using that as an excuse to pull out... but it was sudden.

About an hour later I asked her if she was coming or not. She saw the message, but didn't reply. So an hour after that I posted, "I'll take that as a 'no' then?".... now its an hour later, still no reply.

I don't know what the hell is up - but I'm getting frustrated.

How should I proceed? Facebook is telling me she's seen the messages... should I press her for an answer?

She sounds a bit crazy, or very young... changing her mind every 10 seconds or something. I'd say she doesn't want to come. If she's still taken, don't contact her again. If she isn't, ask her out explicitly (on an actual date).

I swear she does this everytime! It's like she has a cap for how much she can talk to me... And no matter where in a conversation we are, she just stops.

What do you think about my advice on what to do?

I think you're right. I guess I willm just leave it and forget about her. Its just weird because if it were anyone else and normal circumstances then I'd press them for an answer.

I guess she's not interested in me in THAT way, but everytime we see each other she makes a big deal to everyone about how we're best friends... and then in truth, she makes it so hard to be even friends... I don't understand.

She wants to look popular..........

But shes more popular than I am. being myn friend doesnt earn anyone street cred.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She wants reassurance from *you* she isn't taking too much of your time. She wants to talk/text with you more, but thinks she should cutoff so she doesn't look like she wants attention.

I think. Its the best I can distill from that. Just tell her you really dig her already. When she tries to cut off her text, next time just say "hey, good thing b/c I was just going to say I had to go too! I'm going for coffee later at XYZ, come meet me there at xxxpm and we can chat more then."
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Well, she didn't show up but she texted me and said that we should visit her at her work later on. So we did - buts it kinda weird. The same sort of chat that she's usually really responsive to via texting/Facebook etc... i.e. stuff that she laughs at or finds really funny - face to face she almost refuses to laugh or show any emotion. It's not that she looks nervous, nor should she have any reason for being nervous/shy anyway. She's not completely emotionless, just very rarely laughs.

Oh well, I usually get over her anyway, then she comes back into my life a couple of months later and makes me stress out again.