+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Possible engagement in the future?

Possible engagement in the future?

I have been seeing a man for about a year, he is wonderful in many ways. He is talking about marriage a lot lately, and we both seem to like this idea! What I am wondering about is if or when this does happen, I have a ring from a jewellery chain (from my ex who cheated on me with numerous women, and whose ring I want rid of) that has a trade in policy -- if you bring it back they will give you the entire value of the ring towards another one as long as you get one that is at least double the price. The ring I have is worth about $900 in the store.

I am wondering what anyone out there might think about the way to handle this -- the ring is useless to me as I hate the man who gave it to me. I could sell the gold but the diamonds then are loose or else just given away, as nobody is buying diamonds here. Or I could somehow give him the ring and the paperwork and let him know in some way that the option is there to trade it in. If he might so desire. I had put that ring and a few other gold items given to me by exes into an envelope along with the paperwork from the store that has the info on it regarding the trade in policy, and I thought I would mention that he could sell the gold to buy parts for a vehicle he is building, or......hope that he might notice the other option.

Any thoughts??

Gosh how romantic. You might just get engaged with a ring and part of the value of that ring comes from an ex that you hate. Lovely memories.

This is just me since im pretty confidant when I'm in a relationship but my first reaction would be " hell yes" !!!

This is just me since im pretty confidant when I'm in a relationship but my first reaction would be " hell yes" !!!

I'd just sell it and take a weekend trip together.....end of story

Ya I agree do sell it. Personally I would buy myself a nice like a Coach purse and a sexy pair of shoes to go with it......you know something useful.

if it was like that , between you and your ex, why did you not give it back to him at the end of the relationship\?

and what kind of memories do you want to have with your new bf?
    doenst sound lovely to me to remember like thanx to my ex ring i could buy my wedding ring.

sounds also very disrespectful to your new bf.

just sell it or trow it away and do something that have noting to do with your wedding and bf with it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Cheekxs, good points. I never looked at it as disrespectful to my new man but I suppose he may indeed see it that way. Very good point. As for why I didn't give the ring back to my ex, if you knew the whole story you maybe would understand. The man was a dirty dog and the devil in disguise, he destroyed my heart and turned my world upside down. He cheated several times (including while I was pregnant with his first born) with purpose, planned out and paid for while I paid the bills. And he got engaged only 4 months after moving out of my home, invited my best friend to his wedding, and my ex husband is his best man. I don't think I owe him anything. I gave him a beautiful daughter who he pays nothing towards except for half the day care bill, and 4 good years of my life, and a home to live in for only $400 a month. As far as I'm concerned, he's lucky I don't contact his fiancee with the dirt on what he's really capable of, who he is inside. Give him back the ring? I don't think so. I'll take the advice and buy something with it.