+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Too early to say "I love you"

Too early to say "I love you"

I've been talking to this girl for a few months then we started dating a month ago (so three months in total). Everything was going well.

The other night she tells me that she loves me. It was late, right as we were about to fall asleep, so I wrote it off as half-sleep talking. But the next day she texts saying that she has felt that way for a while. And frankly, it kind of freaks me out.

I like this girl, but I don't love her. I like her, and maybe it was going down that road leading to love, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm not looking for a "if you don't feel the same way, that's not good for the relationship". I know that. I'll have to deal with it.

My question is, am I the weird one for not feeling love so soon? Is three months, with one of them more or less being romantic, enough for a normal person? I'm asking because similar situations have come up in the past (not exactly the same, but quite similar). Or do I just date clingy girls for some reason?

Thanks!

Personally, I think its too early to say it...b/c there is no way she really loves you yet. But what is love? I am sure she feels lust, strong emotional attachment...etc...and is calling that love. Maybe the early stages of love? Don't be too freaked out about it unless she starts saying it ALL the time. Just don't say it back if you aren't there yet. It's not clingy...she just really likes you. It doesn't take women as long to form emotional attachments as it does for men. Once I thought I loved someone after a weekend together....ugh now I realize that was definitely not love.
    Last edited by Maple1714; 30-08-12 at 05:13 AM.

Too early for sure. Maybe she doesn't really understand it and she just falls in "love" easily, in which case you can either dump her or ride it out. If she gets impatient you can only really tell her that you like her and that you feel your relationship is headed in that direction but you don't want to loosely throw the "L" word around, and that when you say it you want to be certain you mean it.

My current gf told me she loved me after only a month. We had spent a lot of time together right off the bat, but it freaked me out too b/c it was so soon. She is attractive and very self confident so it had me thinking why is she professing this to me? I'm not that great of a catch, compared to what she could snag with her looks if she wanted tooso this chic probably has needy or clingy issues going on in her head. But my fears were unfounded, I didn't tell her I loved her until almost 3 months together and she never once mentioned as to why I did not reciprocate the phrase. Quite the opposite, some days I feel like its her world I'm living in and if I'm down for the ride fine, if not she's perfectly happy to let me sit things out until I feel like getting on board.

Definitely too early to be saying that to you. Don't feel preassured to say it back if you don't mean it and if she asks you why you haven't said it just explain to her how you feel.