+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I pay her?

Should I pay her?

My girlfriend and I moved to Tanzania for a year and from there we went on a 3-month trip across Africa. We went with the understanding that I will pay for both of our expenses.

But our stay and trip went way over budget and she contributed with the understanding that when we get back to Canada we will both work extra hard to pay off to the trip.

Except when we got back to Tanzania we decided to breakup. I paid for her return trip and gave her additional money for excess luggage and travel expenses.

When I got back to Canada, I had every intention of paying her back for her part of the contribution despite the agreement that we will both pay for the trip (as I had originally taken responsibility to pay for both of us and I know she if broke) but when I asked her for the accounts, she gave me home printed bank statements and is asking, I feel, for over double the amount I think she contributed. Some of the ATM withdrawals just do not jive with my memory.

I asked her to give me the originals and she says she it’s an online only bank with only e-statement and has refused to special order the originals. She has also outright refused to have me or a 3rd party verify her ATM withdrawal online due to privacy and is now accusing me of cheating her out of her money. Her stance is she has already given me the bank statements.

I really want to pay her what she spent but don’t want to be scammed either. Should I pay her what I think I owe her? Or should I just screw her like she is trying to do it to me? Or do I need a different approach?

Really appreciate all feedback.

Well how honest was she to others while you were dating her? Was she a scam artist or pretty honest.

Then use that as your answer.

You didn't take a hooker on a 3month trip did you?

You broke up. Let her sue you and prove it to the judge.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Pay her what you feel is fair. If she complains, tell her to produce the originals and you'd be happy to sort it out then.

You really should have agreed to each pay your own share.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Pay what you think is fair, and tell her to **** off. Or just don't pay her.

Whatever the time you had been with her, you would have some understanding how honest she is. On that judgement and recalling best of your memory where she spent (esp. big payouts) you should pay her off with some extra money and if she demands for more, you stick to produce the original bills. This is how someone pays to the others.

The amount you are giving her is on the basis of old relationship otherwise without original receipts, no one pays out bills. Make her realize so that her so called anger may reduce and she agrees what you pay her off.

Pay her what you know you owe her. No reason to become a scammer yourself.

Pay her what you believe you owe her. If she wants more, she can litigate... which will mean she'll have to come up with the records.