+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why not just tell the truth

Why not just tell the truth

Two weeks ago I got a Facebook event invite for a party in December. I wrote the hostess back that i was looking forward to going, but didn't click that I was going because I had to see if I could get time off work first. She never acknowledged, which was a little strange because usually she would.

I got a date for the party, I swapped schedules with someone so I'd have time off to go, and I go to click that I'm "going" and the invitation has disappeared, so I text her and she writes back "I think I'm going to have to cancel that" then 5 minutes later "it was canceled" I wrote "I'm sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to it, is everything ok with you guys?" she just writes "sorry for the cancel".

Something didn't feel right. Today I found out that the party is still on, it was just me that was uninvited. I don't know why 100%, but I suspect it is because an ex-GF of mine is going, and either she told them she didn't want me there or the people hosting it thought it would be best. I respect that - I mean it sucks, but I understand - if it was a small affair for a few couples I'd stay away, this is probably going to be over 100 people, and it wouldn't have been a problem for me or my date. (btw, I didn't know my ex was invited, after we broke up she defriended and blocked me) I might have said thanks for the invite but it's probably best I don't go, if I'd been told.

The hostess is a nice girl and I feel she was put in the middle, and told a white lie to not hurt my feelings; but I wish she had told the truth and said "I'm sorry, your ex is coming and we think it's not a good idea for both of you to be here." (btw, we never fought, no drama, neither of us are the type to make a scene.) I would've said, that's too bad but I understand. Maybe next time you have something planned it'll work out better. On the other hand, maybe it lets me know who are my real friends.

SMH

That sucks, sorry that happened. Yeah, the hostess should have just been up front with you, but obviously she is a pussy. I have been told in the past that i wasn't aloud to bring a date somewhere....like to a wedding...b/c my ex would be there. I was a bit sour about that b/c it had been 6 months or so since I broke up with my ex. He felt so uncomfortable seeing me there alone he left right after the ceremony anyway.

Anyway, crappy situation. I would just forget about it and not talk to the hostess anymore.