+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Alain de Botton's 10 commandments for athiests

Alain de Botton's 10 commandments for athiests

Alain de Botton's 'list for life'

1.Resilience: Keeping going even when things are looking dark.

2.Empathy: The capacity to connect imaginatively with the sufferings and unique experiences of another person.

3.Patience: We should grow calmer and more forgiving by being more realistic about how things actually happen.

4.Sacrifice: We won't ever manage to raise a family, love someone else or save the planet if we don't keep up with the art of sacrifice.

5.Politeness: Politeness is closely linked to tolerance, -the capacity to live alongside people whom one will never agree with, but at the same time, cannot avoid.

6.Humour: Like anger, humour springs from disappointment, but it is disappointment optimally channelled.

7.Self-awareness: To know oneself is to try not to blame others for one's troubles and moods; to have a sense of what's going on inside oneself, and what actually belongs to the world.

8.Forgiveness: It's recognising that living with others is not possible without excusing errors.

9.Hope: Pessimism is not necessarily deep, nor optimism shallow.

10.Confidence: Confidence is not arrogance - rather, it is based on a constant awareness of how short life is and how little we will ultimately lose from risking everything.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Interesting reading. My own '10 commandments' would look a little different, but I think these are all valuable traits in life. Not sure about the comment on 'humour' stemming from disappointment though

Hmm...may have to go and figure out mine.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Ok, I agree with this list in priciple, but why's it a "10 Commandments for Atheists"? Most "Christians" (Paulists) I know could use some help in the areas this addresses... particularly Empathy, Politeness and Forgiveness, as ironic as that is.

PS - I *am* an atheist.