+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would a guy lie and say he's in a relationship

Would a guy lie and say he's in a relationship

Background: very clear to me that this guy was emotionally unavailable and could have quite possibly had a little depression.

We've had a casual relationship for past year but last time I seem him he was different. Made a couple of comments which suggested he liked me more than he made out but then would say things like: the only woman I can trust is my mum.

Anyways around Xmas time I messaged him asking how he was and he said 'its over for him' and after more texts I discovered he meant for him settling down. A week or so later we exchanged some flirty texts and then end of jan I texted him and he was very blunt in his reply by saying our fun can't continue because apparently hes got a girlfriend.

I honestly think this guy is depressed From the ending of his past relationship and maybe using this as a means of saying please don't contact me. But why wouldn't he have the guts to just say that? The last time we met, I am my own worst enemy because I portray that I'm not after anything serious. He would ask me questions about other men and then come out with random comments about girl as if he wants to make me jealous.

He also made a comment about me getting in touch to which I replied well tell me to stop and I will. He replied with I'm only winding you up. I feel that this guy is seeking attention and because I'm being equally unavailable he's scared to open up.

So back to original question - would a guy lie ?

what makes you think he's lying?

And why are you equally unavailable?

Gut feeling. How can someone go from seeing me in dec, feeling depressed end of month, flirting beginning of jan and then be in a relationship. He may be well dating someone but I don't think he's in an exclusive relationship.

The point is, whether it's a lie or not, he's telling you he doesn't want you. So; take the hint and stop contacting him. He knows where you are if he wants to contact you. Don't wait around for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    The point is, whether it's a lie or not, he's telling you he doesn't want you. So; take the hint and stop contacting him.
    My thoughts exactly. But I'm not asking whether he wants me or not. I'm asking do men lie about this sort of thing?

gut feeling isn't a fact, if you have no concrete knowledge that he isn't in a relationship then he very well could be in one. why would he lie? ... who knows, but you don't even know that he is lying. it sounds like you are just letting your insecurities get the best of you and are assuming he is lying because you think he doesn't want you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow85 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. But I'm not asking whether he wants me or not. I'm asking do men lie about this sort of thing?
    Anybody could lie about this sort of thing. What is your reasoning for wanting to know if Men (as in all of them) lie about these sorts of things. Some will, some won't, some do, some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bearz View Post
    And why are you equally unavailable?
    I am available bit my behaviour states otherwise. Just defenses preventing myself from getting hurt because he was bitter

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Anybody could lie about this sort of thing. What is your reasoning for wanting to know if Men (as in all of them) lie about these sorts of things. Some will, some won't, some do, some don't.
    Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this

How can someone go from seeing me in dec, feeling depressed end of month, flirting beginning of jan and then be in a relationship. He may be well dating someone but I don't think he's in an exclusive relationship.
    you don't know that... relationships do generally tend to kinda take off fast. he could have gone on a few dates with someone, gotten to know her & decided to be exclusive. or he could still be in the early dating stages, either way you still don't know this so you're basing this all on your own assumptions

Just found out by his friend that he 'is sort of meeting someone'. His friend said that's what he said.

So not as exclusive as he made out but nevertheless time for me to forget. Thanks guys!

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this
    It's not unusual at all. Heck, I've referred to an imaginary boyfriend to get rid of someone that I wasn't interested in. There's no rule that says we must tell someone the truth in order to get rid of them.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

People lie all the time when it makes things more convenient for them, that includes men and situations like this.

I don't think he lied, he just didn't tell you he was interested in someone else. He's not a liar, he is a coward.