+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Online"LOOKING FOR A FRIEND" postings and MEETUPS. What do you think?

Online"LOOKING FOR A FRIEND" postings and MEETUPS. What do you think?

So basically I decided that I want a degree in science and decided to switch both the programs and the institutions, though they both are still in the same city.

We fell apart with the people that a knew from my first program very quickly when I stopped attending, besides I did not make any real friends there anyway just aquaintances.

So now I am basically alone this year, and with no real place to socialize and make friends, as I study independantly.

I recently discovered adds on Kijiji "Looking for a friend" (some people there who look for friends are females and about my age too)...
    It sounds very nice but also so unusual.. Has anyone ever had experinece replying to these adds and meeting these people?
    Do you think it is a good idea..
    The idea makes me a bit nervous (meaning shy, I think I wouldn't know what to say and stuff like that.. you know what I mean..)
    So what do you think of that idea?

Also, there are Meetups on meetup.com for instance..
    People organize meetups according to their interests and activities they enjoy.. Have you ever participated in any of these..? Especially if you did not know anyone you were going to meet? How was it? (For instance books and beer meetup) : )
    Are there any other websites for making friends?
    Looking for your opinions..
    Last edited by Fjortis; 18-02-13 at 10:08 AM.

The first one sounds incredibly seedy.

Meetup seems pretty good. I was in a group once and will likely join others.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree with lovereject. Skip the "looking for friends" and stick with meetups.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I haven't responded to those ads but i think it is similar to responding to dating sites such as POF.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think so.... women on dating sites are looking for relationships. Young women "looking for a friend" sounds like someone looking for a sugar daddy.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Lol, nah; most women on dating sites are looking for a meal ticket or FB's.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

do you hang out at any local bars or malls, parks, etc? it might be easier to try meeting people in person

How about taking some general interest classes like Wine Tasing or Ballroom Dancing or even Gourmet Cooking or if that's not your thing, some kind of co-ed sports team where you'll meet both men and women.

I agree with the others, the craigslist thing sounds dangerous, seedy and quite desperate to be honest. Criminal Minds came to my mind when I read your discription of the ads, Op.

Meetmarketadventures.com is another singles meeting site where you do activities with other single kindred spirits.

Well, I think it is always safe just to start talking online. At least you will quickly understand if the guy is a maniac. If he seems to be quite normal you also can try to organize the first meeting in some busy place in the afternoon... No risk, just dont give him any personal information at once...

What a nice idea. I'll take it next time when I'll be short on cash