+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ideas on how to keep ex off your mind?

Ideas on how to keep ex off your mind?

So, I took myself to a therapist (yesterday) about many things and we discussed the situation I'm in with my bf that I'm on a break with in addition to many other topics. I felt good I got a lot of things out about everything in my life and I felt like I had some clarity yesterday about the challenges that would.be faced moving forward with my bf. And I kept thinking that this break is going to help me grow and its a benefit to me though he requested the break. I even saw how we couldn't keep going on how we were and at one point I was thankful that he initiated the break.

Today I'm back to feeling sadness and regret that things turned out this way. It's usually worse in the morning for me. I don't know why but later on toward the afternoon I start to feel better. I just have so many emotions. It's up and down throughout the day. This morning I thought I was sick because I woke up and felt like a train hit me.

What things did you do to keep the ex off your mind during the healing process?

You just have to keep busy. Distract yourself with exercise, meeting friends or family. Do things fun that make you laugh. Join a sport or hobby. Read a good book. Watch lots of comedies. Get a puppy. Spend time with children or do some voluntary work at an old folks home.

I try so hard to distract myself, go out with friends and family, watch stuff, read. But everywhere I go reminds me of him cos wed been there together, things and situations on TV remind me of us then and us now, talking brings stuff up that reminds me and its driving me insane.

srami83: Fabulous for you for going to your therapist! Keep going. Even though it might not seem like the effects of therapy are lasting, over time, they are. Grief is a process. Change your schedule. Go for a walk first thing in the morning and you might be amazed at how that helps. As you walk, look at your surroundings, flowers, trees, animals. I know that sounds corny but it works. Lastly, here is my hot tip of the day; I know you will think this is stupid, but try it - when emotions get too high, put an ice cube in each hand and hold your hands over the sink until you can't hold them any more. Let me know how that works for you. Plenty of research about it.
    Ann

You're referring to him as your ex - but you also say that you're 'on a break'. If he's your ex, then you need time to grieve and time will help you get over him.

But if you're on a break, you can't heal because he's got you dangling on a string waiting to see when and if he'll want to try again.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Things won't go away with a blink. You need time to get over all the things which upset you. This is the best time to do whatever you want. Go out with friends, go on a trip, develop some ideas for which you didn't have time before. You will see that all the things will get better