+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Short but productive or long but pointless life?

Short but productive or long but pointless life?

I would like to begin my question by asking you to recall to your mind Lord Byron's Thirty Sixth Year, for this is the poem which I often recall when I hear of people being overly concerned with their health.
    Not that I have made up my mind on this point yet, but I am rather inclined to believe that after all a short but productive life is of greater value than a long life, wherethoughout the person has not completed much.
    Hence this is the health question: do you think it is better to live for say 36 years, but achieve as much as you can neglecting your health (like working throughout nights with no sleep, eating cheap and unhealthy, but fast and time saving food, etc.) and then die, say of a heart attack at 36 years, or live until you are 80, but having spent half of your life's time on health, like sleeping, cooking and buying healthy food, exercising, going to doctors, etc?

Believe that life is not about so much doing as being. Living the moment enjoying the life. And of course going somewhere. But if you are not happy in the journey you wont be happy at destination.

Lets say you worked your ass till 36 years and now you have money and social statuss but you look shit and your health is like limiting you fully enjoy life and you didnt allowed yourself to relax and have fun before cause you worked hard.

Or for example you never worked more than 20 hours a week in your life and all you have is roof on the head and perfect health also you look younger than your age and feel great enjoying every moment.

Good health is everything its how you see this world how you feel it. So many people would feel like in paradise just for not feeling chronic pain.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    Lets say you worked your ass till 36 years and now you have money and social statuss but you look shit and your health is like limiting you fully enjoy life and you didnt allowed yourself to relax and have fun before cause you worked hard.
    By achieving goals and leading a fruitful life I did not mean money, wealth or social status, not at all. I mean having done something unique and useful for the society, like many great artists, politicians, writers, musicians, scientist, etc. I personally would definitely choose the live of some one like Lord Byron, Egon Schiele, Rimbaud, Edgar Poe, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Jimi Hendrix, etc., than of an ordinary person who lived until 100 years of age, but did nothing important in his or her life.

These guys had pretty hard life anyway. Byron spend his life in depts and was bipolar. But Luther attempted suicide twice. It was strenght to live in their own reality that made their lifes unique. Not everyone is meant to be famous but everyone have their calling in life and if you do whats in your heart than theres no better way to live a life.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 25-04-13 at 05:52 PM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Lincoln and King were murdered. Poe was an alcoholic and died of tuberculosis. Hendrix overdosed on heroin, I believe. I wouldn't say it was hard work that killed them. There are many famous people who made a significant contribution to society and lived to a ripe old age. I call false dichotomy, my dear sir.

I go for the long and productive life option. Death at 36 is not appealling as an idea, especially since I"m 13 years past my sell by date.

John: Why is this an either or? I can't imagine either one. Why can't you live a long life AND achieve many things over your lifetime. This sounds just like an excuse for an obsession or for finding a rationale for living a crappy lifestyle. Ann
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Schiebert View Post
    John: Why is this an either or? I can't imagine either one. Why can't you live a long life AND achieve many things over your lifetime. This sounds just like an excuse for an obsession or for finding a rationale for living a crappy lifestyle. Ann
    I agree with this, but if I had to choose between those two, I would go for a short life where I died helping others. I would hope that a piece of me would live on through them by hopefully inspiring them to help others.

Long, pointless life if it entails lots of sex with hot women, being better than everybody else and getting to spite mortal enemies..
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.