+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Tell Me Why You Forgot About Yourself...

Tell Me Why You Forgot About Yourself...

You know what I'm talking about. We all do it, it's human nature to care so deeply for the other person that we forget about ourselves. During the honeymoon stage, and we all know when that is, both parties share that commonality. When both parties care about each other deeply. After that, the balances will shift. One person will care more, or feels like he/she cares more. Tensions will build, resentment will start to form and eventually, anger will erupt.

Did you know who yourself before the relationship? What you needed? What you liked? Who your close friends were? Did you forget all that during the relationship? What was so special about the other person that made you forget about yourself?

We may feel ashamed about it, and friends will tell us how wrong we were for forgetting them. What they don't tell us is, everyone does it.

Share with us. Tell us your story.

With my second to last boyfriend, John, it was a case of where he seemed to be this shining figure of a man who actually treated me right for once (unlike others). At first, it was tough to say that what was going on was okay when he first expressed that he wasn't sure if he'd stay with me or go with someone else, but the idea of him being this troubled guy who wanted to make me happy but was so torn seemed too real to be fake... And then when he made up excuses and got into the drinking, I told myself it was just a phase. I kept telling myself that things would be better. And then he just seemed to sink lower and lower. :S So, I tried to help and felt helpless when I tried and failed. In the end, I cared more about him because he made it seem like there was a better day on the horizon. The first month of our relationship also gave me hope because he made me happier than anyone I had dated before... :S But in the end, I should have seen the signs.

I pretty much ditched my idealizations of love and relationships when I met my ex-girlfriend... it is so weird how that word is seen so negatively

I'm not sure if it was for the better or the worst if I had lowered my standards or if I took a chance on something different..

I had no friends except for my sister and my cats; I'm trying to rebuild myself emotionally because I'm such a mean person I'm not even trying to beat myself down too hard, it's the truth.

I guess when I did realize that I've committed to something that I didn't expect to experience I did have resentment. I think being honest with yourself is incredibly important in getting into relationships. I think now that I have an option now it's going to be different.

" it's human nature to care so deeply for the other person that we forget about ourselves." Who told you this? We musn't forget ourselves....ever! How can be bring a whole person into a relationship if we, "forget ourselves?" This is called codependency. Please educate yourself about it. Ann
    Ann

ive never been infatuated by someone. i keep my eyes wide open in the beginning and make sure they live up to my standards and expectations before ill relax and allow him to get closer. sticking your head in the clouds, wearing your heart on your sleeve and looking at something through rose tinted glasses is a recipe for disaster and you will get hurt if you ignore the red flags and warning signs.

some people are just in love with the idea of love and make the same mistakes again and again. some people do not know the different between infatuation and love and think a relationship should be like bella and edward in twilight. they are idiots. some people do not have what it takes to have a healthy ltr and those are the ones you need to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    ive never been infatuated by someone. i keep my eyes wide open in the beginning and make sure they live up to my standards and expectations before ill relax and allow him to get closer. sticking your head in the clouds, wearing your heart on your sleeve and looking at something through rose tinted glasses is a recipe for disaster and you will get hurt if you ignore the red flags and warning signs.

some people are just in love with the idea of love and make the same mistakes again and again. some people do not know the different between infatuation and love and think a relationship should be like bella and edward in twilight. they are idiots. some people do not have what it takes to have a healthy ltr and those are the ones you need to avoid
    I agree.... Taylor Swift is half to blame for this 'love story' bs.

Real love is undefinable, giving and self-sacrificing...

I want to ask people if they say that they love someone if they'd cut off their index finger to save the person that they 'love' so much.

Easily would do that. Hell, I'd donate my testicles if it meant getting a girlfriend (or even a DATE, for that matter).
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

what would be the point then dude if youve no testosterone to want to have sex with her and cant give her the babies shell eventually start to crave? i wouldnt recommend it haha

Relationships aren't purely about sex. Plus, no way in Hell would I ever have children. No way.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"