+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What does a guy mean when he jokes about getting married with his best friend?

What does a guy mean when he jokes about getting married with his best friend?

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. Thanks in advance for being kind to me. :-)

Some details about myself:
    I am 25 years old. I recently obtained a medical degree [which explains my ignorance of relationship matters ). I have had a few crushes and received confessions but I was never in a serious relationship.

So here's my dilemma.

I met my guy friend (A) when we were college freshmen. I was already attracted to him back then but when I learned to one of my closest girl friends also liked him, I backed off. I thought there was nothing to be gained by competing for the same guy. In fact, Guy A also liked my girl friend but they never got together.

When we were in third year college, we became close through a common guy friend (B). I found out we had the same interests. In the end, guys A and B both became my best guy friends although the attraction for guy A was still there. I absolutely have no romantic interest in guy B as he does in me because he's gay.

Anyway, fast forward to medical school. Guy B and I went to the same school; Guy A chose to enter another school just to spite his mother. Guy A, Guy B and I met intermittently and had lunch/dinner together during our birthdays and during our breaks.

During our meetings, Guy A often gave compliments (e.g. my hairstyle looks good, I look pretty, etc.). I took them as jokes and responded by telling him he looked good also and he was my crush. He just shrugged them off. Every time I asked him about the girl he liked, he would just tell me there's no one.

2 days ago, Guy A, Guy B and I met again. Guy A kept telling me that we should just get together. He says that he is interested in courting me. He says I will have to become his girlfriend if he topped the medical boards (the chances are not in his favor though; he is not an achiever. It makes me wonder whether or not he made this comment because he knew his chances are almost nil..). Guy A told Guy B to be the best man at our wedding. Of course, Guy A said all these in a joking manner.

I honestly do not know what to make of these things. I still like him but I do not want to hope too much. However, I value our friendship too much to risk asking him directly whether he really likes me or not (added to the fact that I do not really know how to be honest about my feelings). One part me of hopes that he find a girlfriend soon so that I can finally give up on him (he never had a girlfriend this past 9 years). In fact, when we met 2 days ago, I tried to match-make him with my girl friends but he told me he doesn't need them and that he only needs me. Too cheesy, I know.

Just in case you're wondering if guy A is gay, no he isn't. I already asked him directly.

I hope someone can shed some light on this matter. Thanks a lot!

Guy A likes you, it is that simple. He is just too indirect to say it, so next time he makes some joke about getting married or courting, tell him that you should go out on a date first, and suggest your next free mutual day together. Make and hold direct eye contact with him when you say it, but smile and be light about it, so if you need to, you can roll it off as a joke.

Alternatively, just tell him how you feel and I'm sure it will all work out.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

25 and never been in a serious relationship? Girl it's time you start! It's not the 1950's you don't have to wait for the guy to ask you out. Just invite him over for dinner or see if he would like to catch a movie with you. Or next time he makes a joke about going out with you just tell him "I'm free on Saturday, what time will you be picking me up at?" "You have my number, call me and we will call it a date."

Wow, wow, wow...when you to eventually have sex are you going to have diagrams and charts??? Love is not planned, emotions are not logical, life is NOT some class they made you take in high school. Let your hair down, wear something sexy, force the issue, and let go of everything for just one night! I bet a million dollars you will get a better grade on your next test. :-) Sorry, but some times you have to be so blunt to make someone realize how stupid you they are being. And yeah, I'm not idiot if that helps, I think my last IQ test they made me take was 140+, so damn, your 25, I think you have earned one night to go wild and live a little. Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    Guy A likes you, it is that simple. He is just too indirect to say it, so next time he makes some joke about getting married or courting, tell him that you should go out on a date first, and suggest your next free mutual day together. Make and hold direct eye contact with him when you say it, but smile and be light about it, so if you need to, you can roll it off as a joke.

Alternatively, just tell him how you feel and I'm sure it will all work out.
    Thanks! It is a bit difficult for me though because I have never confessed my feelings to someone.