+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys, when on a date do you shut off your cell phone, or silent it?

Guys, when on a date do you shut off your cell phone, or silent it?

How often do you check it during your date? Just wondering, does anyone actually turn theirs off?

What is your cell phone etiquette?
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

Good question....what about you. I've heard nothing but complains from guys about girls never putting their phone down during a date.

Hi, smackie9. Hope you have a lovely Canada day!

I cannot stand a guy or a girl being on their phone during a date, or even a couple and they are out to dinner together. It is like people cannot stand the company of each other and their cell phone is their escape or excuse not to talk to each other. I think it is rude. I always silent my cell and lock the keypad. Only time I would ever check my phone on a date is if I excused myself and went to the bathroom, I'd never look at it in the presence of a date. If there is an emergency I can deal with it later, 99.9 % there will never be an emergency, imo. I had an ex would would answer his during dinner out, just to randomly chat a buddy he saw or talked to hrs before. I get some people are addicted to their phones but over real life in front of you conversation, idk.

My phone is always on silent mode so I don't have any guild when I miss calls.

See, that is how to do it. Makes the other person feel important to you, I think it is a huge plus to guys when on dates if their cell rings and the guy just ignores it etc and keeps talking to his date. You will always have a moment later when she goes to the ladies room or the guy the mens room to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by sadbunnyface View Post
    I cannot stand a guy or a girl being on their phone during a date, or even a couple and they are out to dinner together.
    When our children were young, my husband I kept my phone out so that I could be reached by a sitter in case of emergency. And yes, we did have to go home once or twice when someone fell ill. I would be terribly upset to find out that my child had been distressed with pain while I was out having fun with my phone off. And for what it's worth, I would not babysit for a couple who would not take calls in case of emergency. At the very least, they should keep their phone on silent and check it periodically.

What about a medical or emergency worker who's not on-duty but remains on-call in case of short staffing or emergency?

Or even when my hubby's work is doing computer testing which he doesn't technically have to be there for, but needs to be available in case it goes belly up? I'd rather him be easily available to speak to his work than miss out on the date altogether waiting for a phone call which may not come.

My point is: do not judge a couple when you don't know *why* they have their phone out.

However, if I was on a date and knew that nobody was likely to need me, my phone would be off and in my purse. If I knew he had no likely problems, I'd hope he has his phone off too. And I'd probably forget to turn my phone back on when I got home. (and going by current posts, he'd write here desperately wondering why I didn't answer his text at 11pm)
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 01-07-13 at 03:41 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

By the way, I don't mean I turn my phone on silent mode when I'm on a date. I mean it's always on silent mode. lol

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    When our children were young, my husband I kept my phone out so that I could be reached by a sitter in case of emergency. And yes, we did have to go home once or twice when someone fell ill. I would be terribly upset to find out that my child had been distressed with pain while I was out having fun with my phone off. And for what it's worth, I would not babysit for a couple who would not take calls in case of emergency. At the very least, they should keep their phone on silent and check it periodically.

My point is: do not judge a couple when you don't know *why* they have their phone out.

However, if I was on a date and had no young kids, my phone would be off and in my purse. And I'd probably forget to turn it back on when I got home. (and going by current posts, he'd write here desperately wondering why I didn't answer his text at 11pm)
    I am talking singles, no dependents with my post.. I haven't dated any guys with children yet and I don't have any either yet ( hope too).

If some one has little ones I can understand. My parents would just leave the restaurant name when my sister and I were younger and if a problem the babysitter would call them there, or at whatever friends place they were at, if at a movie they would have to wait until home. They didn't have or like cell phones, still don't. Might be why I am not a huge cell phone person myself now. But I understand your point, to me lots of couples look to be texting at their dinner tables, I usually figure friends or Fbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Road View Post
    By the way, I don't mean I turn my phone on silent mode when I'm on a date. I mean it's always on silent mode. lol
    Still good, Empty Road. I turn my off when at work, only flip it on when at lunch to check or a quick break. Cell phones are great for convenience but lots of times I wish I didn't have one.

Still good, Empty Road. I turn my off when at work, only flip it on when at lunch to check or a quick break. Cell phones are great for convenience but lots of times I wish I didn't have one.
    Agreed. I miss those days when the only way to contact someone is writing them a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Road View Post
    Agreed. I miss those days when the only way to contact someone is writing them a letter.
    Wow, did you grow up without any kind of telephone? You must be really old
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 01-07-13 at 04:05 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I am talking singles, no dependents with my post.. I haven't dated any guys with children yet and I don't have any either yet ( hope too).

If some one has little ones I can understand. My parents would just leave the restaurant name when my sister and I were younger and if a problem the babysitter would call them there, or at whatever friends place they were at, if at a movie they would have to wait until home. They didn't have or like cell phones, still don't. Might be why I am not a huge cell phone person myself now. But I understand your point, to me lots of couples look to be texting at their dinner tables, I usually figure friends or Fbing.
    thing is, we can't tell by looking what someone's situation is. Perhaps they do have kids or perhaps they are on-call.

So, in short I say constantly texting while on a date is rude. But I won't criticise a person or couple for having a phone on and being able to check it quickly and easily because there may be a very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Wow, did you grow up without any kind of telephone? You must be really old
    lol not that old. We had one phone in the house growing up but my mom and sister hogs it, so pretty much same as not having one.

Once I'm in her company I make the point of getting my phone out and saying 'just putting on silent so we're not disturbed', alright it vibrates in my pocket, if a call comes in I may check next time I'm at the bar or in the toilet, but at the end of the day, I'm out with my date and the rest of the world can wait.

Hi, smackie9. Hope you have a lovely Canada day!
    Hey TY! I hope you are too!

I am hiding in the house from the heat. We are having quite a heat spell here in the lower mainland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast