+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: monogamy - nature or nurture?

if gays can marry then ploygamy should be legal too.but women shouldnt have more than 1 guy cos that makes them a slut lol
    Last edited by trevor; 15-07-13 at 11:22 PM.

Somebody ban this guy?

omg banned for sayin my opionion on a forum

He's right Sea, if he wants to prove to us he's a idiot then he should have that opportunity.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

i made a good point tat if gay marriage is legal than polygamny should be too

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    omg banned for sayin my opionion on a forum
    Stanley there is a big difference between stating your opinion and being a total douch.

i am not being a douche i dont know people are so sensitive on here.cant believe i am gettin asked to be banned in an open forum statin my opinion lol that would be an injustice

again trevor go back to your cave
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Something of interest to the topic at hand:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-sexual-revolution-polyamory

I'll also point out that so called monogamous animals have been proven to not be so monogamous. DNA studies have shown that animals that pair bond for life ocassionally slip out of the nest or den and copulate with other females. Seems the males do the sneaking and the females do the 'welcome aboard sailoring'
    The sciences of genetics and anthropology speak volumes on this subject, that article is but one of many. Unless we think our opinions mean more than what has been found in our DNA as well as our social and cultural patterns before Abrahamic religion sowed it's seeds everywhere then the only logical conclusion is that monogamy - or at least monogamy imposed as the only morally sound way of life - is clearly against our inherent nature.

Let me clear up, before anybody misinterprets my posts here, that I'm not anti-monogamy at all. I'm all about doing whatever the fukk you want to do as long as you're not hurting anybody. This, of course, means that we should be able to choose if we want to be monogamous or polygamous and it's not anybody's business to judge us for these choices.

However, there are many societies that impose monogamy as the end all be all way that you're supposed to live your life (America still does this quite a bit), which is a belief that needs to die and I believe it will as information becomes more and more readily available and we become more and more educated on the reality in which we live. There shouldn't be a "norm" on this subject - again you should be able to do whatever you wanna do as long as what you're doing is victimless. Imposing monogamy as an end all be all lifestyle over an entire society creates an element of shaming toward natural human sexuality - it essentially tells us that our inherent nature is wrong, disgusting, slutty, degrading to women, against God's will (lol), etc and no matter how extreme said shaming becomes, we are told to accept it as the way things are supposed to be. Even worse, many of us still believe that shaming human sexuality makes us morally superior - a belief that will be scoffed at with utter disdain after another 50 years (give or take) of cognitive evolution.

It's no coincidence that the number of people thinking along these lines is picking momentum just as information is becoming readily available to virtually everyone, it was safe to arbitrarily shame everyone before a phone could give you access to more information than the world's greatest scholars in the 1980's could ever find but now the ball is rolling to a more balanced center and while it still has a lot of momentum to pick up, it will get to a point (as long as it keeps picking up momentum) where there will no longer be any norms with regards to relationships, and everyone will be like "wow, I can't believe our ancestors allowed themselves to be so repressed for so long, that just doesn't make any sense to me."
    Last edited by dickriculous; 16-07-13 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Something of interest to the topic at hand:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-sexual-revolution-polyamory

I'll also point out that so called monogamous animals have been proven to not be so monogamous. DNA studies have shown that animals that pair bond for life ocassionally slip out of the nest or den and copulate with other females. Seems the males do the sneaking and the females do the 'welcome aboard sailoring'
    A small subset of each population does not a majority make.

Its like how female penguins can prostitute themselves for materials to build their nests, there will always be exceptions to the rule. As I mentioned before its less about lifestyle when it comes to animals and more about survival.

This includes humans and the type of "social survival" we have incorporated in our daily lives. For just about every instance you see of a "fact" pointing in one direction, you'll see someone somewhere else with an instance of the opposite "fact".

Its easier to just see it on a case by case basis... if someone can go about living their lives with more than one partner, great for them, but not everyone is like that.

so what if a few monogamous animals have been caught cheating. doesnt mean they all do it. the closest relatives humans (i cant remember what type of monkey it is but ill try to find the article) some have been proven to mate for life with no cheating, some break up and find a new mate, some cheat.

i dont think we can say humans are natural monogamous or there not cause we are all different. i believe the majority are-some are not

it is not an argument i agree with coz too many people try to use it as an excuse to cheat. it may explain why some people find it harder than others to be faithful but those people should not make promises they are not gonna keep.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInflux View Post
    A small subset of each population does not a majority make.
    Never said it did sport. Just making a point that like humans, not all animals who mate for life are monogamous. Just pointing out the fact so it's not taken as gospel that all, mate for life animals are monogamous.

Monogamy is a very new concept in the scheme of the human race... It was (as someone mentioned earlier) Church and Society that deemed it to be the practice that best suited said society as all the rich and powerful men were claiming most of the women which led to the beta men going without or with those women that were left behind.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 16-07-13 at 03:29 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    i tink women shuld have 1 man whereas men should have 4 wives .this is very natural

1 to cook and clean, 1 to ****, 1 to **** and bear children, 1 to give me a massage lol
    I seriously hope you are trolling ffs

we can debate this till the cows come home. i have looked at both sides of the argument in a lot of detail. those saying we are non-monogamous may have a point. however they have absolutely no scientific evidence to back up what they are saying and most those articles are written in anger by a cheat trying to justify and make excuses for cheating. i have no yet come across an unbiased article.

on the other side of the argument they have a lot of scientific evidence to back up what they are saying as well as relationship experts, psychologists, doctors, sociologists, biologists etc willing to sign their name toit and it is written in a non-biased way where they usually explore both sides of the argument.

to me im more likely to believe the experts coz they make a lot of sense. reading those articles written by a sex addict in anger at the injustice society has placed on him and comparing himself to a wild dog is just laughable especially since wolves are monogamous creatures..

More links to prove a point:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/what-females-want/to-have-to-hold-and-to-cheat/829/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast