+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He's always tooting his own horn. How can I curb this?

He's nothing like that. He's a great gentleman and a great boyfriend. We'll be together a year in September.

I have a friend who is the same way, always says he is the best lookin guy he knows, the most intelligent, chicks love him, he is the best at his job, the boss among his family and friends and dresses better than anyone he knows. LMAO.
    In short anyone who ****ing toots their horn that much is so insecure it is obvious, if you feel you are hot shit you don't need to broadcast it 24/7, you are confident enough to know others can see it in you.
    He keeps it up he'll lose friends in time.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I'd worry that he's insecure; insecure people are desperate for praise and that can get very frustrating. It's one thing to be confident in your abilities, it's another to arrogantly crap on about how great you are all the time. I've only known one person like that and his ego was so fragile he'd blow up at the slightest criticism.

The only thing you can do is tell him; Hey - I'm glad your confident, but sometimes you talk yourself up way too much...it's getting tedious'. See how it goes.

I'm going to join the group of posters who are suspecting insecurity.

I have no idea how to address it - all I know is that I'd get very tired of it very quickly. I probably would have ended it long ago.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by shortyrock View Post
    He's nothing like that. He's a great gentleman and a great boyfriend. We'll be together a year in September.
    Why don't you google "How to handle people who are full of themselves" and get some expert advice from one of the Psychology sites? He sounds annoying and boring. Me? I'd just tell him to stfu that I was sick of his blowhard, sanctimony and that no one likes anyone much who blows their own horn ad-nauseum.

He stinks of insecurity and lacks self-worth.

If you want to be more subtle then heres something you can tell him when he starts on how wonderful he is:

"Being proud isn't bragging about how great we are, its more like quietly knowing that we are worth a lot !
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

To redress the balance and bring him down to earth why not tell him he's shite in bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    To redress the balance and bring him down to earth why not tell him he's shite in bed?
    Unless he is great at that too.

If he is indeed as great as he said he is, he has nothing to be insecure about. He love talking about it, so what? If you are a supportive girlfriend, you would be there cheering him on.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post

If he is indeed as great as he said he is, he has nothing to be insecure about. He love talking about it, so what? If you are a supportive girlfriend, you would be there cheering him on.
    You know so little about the truth of the matter. It's when you brag about it, is when you are not sure of yourself and so you seek validation from outside sources. People who are not insecure, have no need to broadcast their accomplishments. They only do so when asked about themselves... to volunteer such things is him looking for even more validation because he really doesn't believe what he's hearing or he's outright lying about his goodness.. one or the other.

You are rather insecure yourself. I suspect that is why you are not grasping the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    lolzzz
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

your the female version of narcissistic. No offence. Just being honest. You are fairly ruthless when it comes to men and believe your vagina is too good for all of mankind. Buy a dildo thats made of gold for your royal vagina
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

lalalita Guest
    Maybe mention something about being humble? How that is more attractive. Especially when he's going on about not knowing "how to deal with compliments".

Or, neutrally asking "Why do you talk about how great you are so much?" when he starts on one of his rants. You'd be surprised how an honest question with no rude tone or sarcasm behind it can knock someone off their feet.

I agree with the insecurity. Just be careful, if he is very insecure and you question his boasting you might not like the reaction you get.

lalalita Guest

I don't think this is true. If someone wants to cheer their partner on, that should be up to them and come unprompted. Listening to someone go on and on about how great they are sort of puts the person listening in an awkward spot. If they work together, the OP would clearly be well aware of how great he is without him spelling it all out for her on his own.

shortyrock, does he ever compliment your skills and abilities? I feel like these conversations are one sided. If you work in the same field, it's sort of insulting to sit there and boast about yourself and not involve the other person's talents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12