+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Breakup Advice

Breakup Advice

There is a woman whom I've know for 8 years. We ended up dating shortly after I ended a 5 year relationship. Unfortunately, the emotions from my long term relationship caught up to me and I broke things off after about a month. I told her I needed some time to get my head on straight. She was heart broken but she understood. After a few months apart, we connected again and had an amazing weekend together. I told her I felt ready for a relationship now and I wanted to be with her. However, she told me that she wasn't ready for commitment. She also said she might be leaving the country in a few months and didn't want to hurt me.

Given the circumstances, I didn't know what to do so we decided to just see where things take us and remain friends. After a few weeks, I told her that the timeline didn't matter and I told her how much I loved her. Unexpectedly, in return, she told me that she had met someone recently and had fallen for him. She then told me that I should pursue other people. It was heartbreaking and very unexpected. She left me with a song and she told me to listen to the lyrics. So I did. My take away was this. I believe she is telling me that we both need to experience life and if our love is strong, we will come back for one another.

Keith Urban - Come Back to Me Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/keithurban/comebacktome.html

Questions:
    1. What is your interpretation of the situation/song.
    2. Should I break contact and give her space or should I try and reform a friendship?

Note: This girl is a game changer. She means the world to me. We are both 26.

Just keep in mind it will take MUCH longer To get over her if you stay friends. So it's kind of a waste of your time dwelling on this girl when u could be getting to know someone that's available. It doesn't seem right to stay close friends either because it's not fair to her new boyfriend.

Honey, it doesn't seem like you know what you want. Just a week or so ago you were dead set on the two chics you couldn't decide on. Is this the same chic you knew for eight years and couldn't control her emotions? If so I guess she got tired of waiting on you. I really think you need to take time out to figure out what you want. It's like you're trying to jump in a relationship. Obviously you should move on from her because she has already moved on. Go out and date and have fun and figure out who and what you want that's available to you and who you're compatible with so you can get a relationship since it seems that's what you're feigning for, bob marley. I like Damien Marley.
    Last edited by Starnique; 17-10-13 at 12:56 PM.

jam is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Love and just any relationship is only rewarding if it is two-way. If she says she's happy with the new person she has met, the probably she is. So may as well need to do just the same - get out, and try to get meaning to life outside her. If you are meant to be, things will work themselve out and you will, but dont halt your life cause you are waiting for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Starnique View Post
    Honey, it doesn't seem like you know what you want. Just a week or so ago you were dead set on the two chics you couldn't decide on. Is this the same chic you knew for eight years and couldn't control her emotions? If so I guess she got tired of waiting on you. I really think you need to take time out to figure out what you want. It's like you're trying to jump in a relationship. Obviously you should move on from her because she has already moved on. Go out and date and have fun and figure out who and what you want that's available to you and who you're compatible with so you can get a relationship since it seems that's what you're feigning for, bob marley. I like Damien Marley.
    Yeah, its been a rough few months. However, I do realize its purely my actions that put me in this mess. Its funny how sometimes you have to get kicked down a hill to see things right side up. This girl was really close in my heart even before we started dating. After we dated and I had some time reflect, I realized that she meant the world to me. I wrote her a email, explaining that her happiness means everything to me and I thanked her for the experience. I promised to give her as much space as needed to ensure her new relationship could thrive.

I've dated plenty, but I've never had a connection to someone like this. I can close my eyes and feel it. That's why this is so difficult and I know this will be my hardest breakup yet. But, I'm trying to stay busy. Going to go Skydiving on Saturday. Hopefully, there will be some perspective in the clouds.