+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing

Did I do the right thing

Yesterday was my girlfriends three year anniversary of her mom passing away. I didnt know her, but I told my girlfriend before I was sorry she passed away.

I know yesterday she planned on staying at home and being with her little sister. I texted her good morning yesterday and hoped she had a good day

I then texted her that night and said, hope you had a good day, I was thinking about ya.

Do you think that's good? I had to work ten hours yesterday so I really didn't get to talk to her.

I don't want her thinking I don't care

Anyone please

I think that was good. You showed you cared and gave her space to be w/her sister.

Did she text you back?

I think I would have suggested saying a little more. Let her know that you were there for her if she needed. Let her know ahead of time that you were going to be busy at work, but would do your best to get in touch if she needed. That way, in case she did call or text and you couldn't answer, she would know why. Plus, a call would probably have been better than a text.

But, as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

All in all, though, I would say you did a good enough job. You showed that you cared and were there for her. In a situation like this, there really isn't all that much you can say to somebody that will really help. It is merely the thought that counts. It is just being there for them that is important.

No she didn't text back, well she did but she was asking about something. She knew I was going to work that day.

I guess I could have done more but I felt its something she wanted to deal with on her own

Well, maybe, but it wouldn't have hurt to ask. Make yourself available. Still, you can't change what you did now, and what you did was honestly not too darn shabby. ;-) You showed that you were there for her if needed. If she had felt the need, she could have reached out to you. That is what is really important.

What you did was fine but what happened to the flowers & card you were planning?

What was she asking about?

It's a good thing you didn't get flowers and a card. You should be making her think you don't care. In fact, you should be actually not caring. Knowing that she has you on call as her whipped, bitch, is not going to help you. Keep trying to "build that trust back" though. You're funny, man.

Have you spoken to her? I don't think you did anything wrong. Not everyone knows how to act in these situations and you did what you thought was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DalM0m View Post
    What you did was fine but what happened to the flowers & card you were planning?
    She said not to. She said she appreciated the offer but its something she just deals with on her own

weakness85 Guest
    im sure she understands =.. she prob wanted to be alone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by weakness85 View Post
    im sure she understands =.. she prob wanted to be alone anyway.
    Hope so. I have never been in this situation before so I wasn't sure what to do

Quote Originally Posted by staticsnake View Post
    She said not to. She said she appreciated the offer but its something she just deals with on her own
    Again, what you did was fine. The fact that you listened to her expresses wishes was also good but in the future, when contemplating sending flowers or a card, don't ask first, just do it. What was she going to say -- oh yes, spend money on me? That would have been so impolite. She said the only thing she could under the circumstances; she demurred.

Quote Originally Posted by DalM0m View Post
    Again, what you did was fine. The fact that you listened to her expresses wishes was also good but in the future, when contemplating sending flowers or a card, don't ask first, just do it. What was she going to say -- oh yes, spend money on me? That would have been so impolite. She said the only thing she could under the circumstances; she demurred.
    I understand but I asked because like I said I never been through this. Would it have been okay with her? Or maybe she would have thought it was to much?
    That's why I asked

She texted me today saying that she doesn't want me to think she is pushing me away or ignoring me, yesterday was hard for her and she needs alone time

I said I understand and I told her I'm here for her if she needs anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast