+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hey guys - New member!

Hey guys - New member!

Hi all,

New member here. Hope all is well.

I'm looking to read other peoples stories and also get some help myself.

I have a question first for other members:

Is their such thing as being afraid of a relationship? Or is it a case of not met the right person?

I personally think it could be a bit of both, but can you have met the right person, someone you really like, but still push them away because you're afraid? Afraid of commitment, afraid of getting hurt etc etc?

Especially when your'e a single parent and have a child to think about too?

Welcome to Love Forum - Online Relationship Discussion. Enjoy your stay here...
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Welcome to the forums!

I'm new here as well, see ya around!

Hi UKRomantic. Welcome! I'm new too :-)

I think that for some it is possible to be afraid of a relationship. I can't imagine it because I usually leap then look...but that's just me. When I became single last year, I went out with a guy that I had been working with for years. He asked me out when he found out that my ex and I had broken it off. After 2 dates, I decided to ask him over and I would make him dinner and he replies to me (the conversation was in text) that he didn't know if he wanted to see me any more. I was mad at first but then I calmed down and just asked him why. He floored me by saying that he felt a lot more for me than he had expected just after two dates and that it scared him. So I tried to calm his fears and tell him that I was afraid of getting hurt too after just coming out of a 10 year relationship but that I was willing to take the chance. So we sat down over dinner and had a long talk about what we were looking for and what we expected out of relationships and found that we were very much alike in our expectations. We dated exclusively for 3 months. But we ended it amicably because he realized that he wasn't ready for a serious relationship. I was okay with that because I didn't really like the way he communicated with me.

It is understandable to be afraid. In a good relationship, both are vulnerable to each other and must have faith that they have the best intentions for each other. But the fear shouldn't stop you from seeking what you want in a partner. If you fail, you heal and you keep going. As far as meeting the right person or not, I really don't know how to answer that. I think there are situations where you just know and there are situations where it comes to light after a while.