+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do girls play hard to get

ahhh, there is a God. lol
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

He wasn't using it commonly. He stated his question in a way that could have implied he wanted to know why either this girl specifically is doing it(in his mind), or why women do it. Not why all women do it. I maintain, you are a ****ing idiot, or you are illiterate if that is the context you thought he was using.

Quote Originally Posted by BackUpOrGetStng View Post
    He wasn't using it commonly. He stated his question in a way that could have implied he wanted to know why either this girl specifically is doing it(in his mind), or why women do it. Not why all women do it. I maintain, you are a ****ing idiot, or you are illiterate if that is the context you thought he was using.
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. By "context" I mean the common usage of the phrasing "why do X do Y?", which (if no quantifier is specified) means, in common usage, "why do all X do Y?". This is the context that is obviously being used by any human being that is speaking in common terms - and not writing a scientifical/literary paper, or something. This is what I mean by "context". I hope I won't have to repeat it again?

We all know that it's not what he actually meant. What he meant was: "why is this particular girl playing hard to get?". Instead he generalized and said the common language equivalent of "why do all women play hard to get?". Generalizing is bad, so I called him out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Haha, but I'm not wrong... in general usage, when someone says something like "why do women/men do that?" it means "why do *all* women/men do that?", it's a way of generalizing. In general usage, it is a generalization. It's like when some women ask questions such as "why are men such jerks?", it is clearly a generalization and what they actually mean is "why are some men jerks?".

The second interpretation is actually the (only) correct one, and it coincides with what (I presume) the OP was actually asking (well, actually he was only interested in this specific girl).
    ok. like. SERIOUSLY??? why is another thread being derailed with such silly questions??

and what if all the women he knows do play games and thus from his experience it is true in his world?? or only the women he is interested in play games?? why must you overanalyze the black and white words instead of understanding that he does not mean to be misogynistic???

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Swan View Post
    ok. like. SERIOUSLY??? why is another thread being derailed with such silly questions??

and what if all the women he knows do play games and thus from his experience it is true in his world?? or only the women he is interested in play games?? why must you overanalyze the black and white words instead of understanding that he does not mean to be misogynistic???
    Oh, Ugly_Swan, you make me sad. I never said he was being misogynistic. I just called him out for generalizing. Even if all the women he knew played hard to get, it still wouldn't mean that *all* women played hard to get. Believe me, I would have said the same thing if it had been you (or any other silly woman) asking "Why are men jerks?" or any other silly generalization.

This is being blown out of proportion. OP already replied to me and we already talked about the issue at hand. It was BackUp who brought up my question again, and now you.

Repeat yourself all you want. He doesn't have to be asking about this particular girl. Him asking what are reasons women do this without regard to men, is valid. He's curious and wanted opinions..specific to women's reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Oh, Ugly_Swan, you make me sad. I never said he was being misogynistic. I just called him out for generalizing. Even if all the women he knew played hard to get, it still wouldn't mean that *all* women played hard to get. Believe me, I would have said the same thing if it had been you (or any other silly woman) asking "Why are men jerks?" or any other silly generalization.

This is being blown out of proportion. OP already replied to me and we already talked about the issue at hand. It was BackUp who brought up my question again, and now you.
    ...any normal human being looks at his question and thinks hmm why do some women play hard to get?? they don't look at it and oh! he is generalizing--because its implicitly understood that obv no one thinks something as stupid as ALL women do it.

this is so petty!!!!!!!!

Maybe he wanted any woman's opinion so he could figure out what he's doing to trigger it?

Sea he was generalizing-backup he wasnt. Let it go already lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Repeat yourself all you want. He doesn't have to be asking about this particular girl. Him asking what are reasons women do this without regard to men, is valid. He's curious and wanted opinions..specific to women's reasons.
    Except that each and every person is different, including women. There are no "general reasons" for which some women play hard to get, apart from deep-rooted societal standards according to which women are supposed to not show their interest or they might get labelled as "easy" (or worse), which have nothing to do with women's character as a gender, but simply depend on how males and females are brought up. Every other reason depends on the individual person.

I don't think this is what OP wanted to know. He simply wanted to know why this particular woman was "playing hard to get". He phrased the title wrong (happens to the best of us), he generalized, and I simply called him out for it. We already talked and the discussion was over a page ago.
    Last edited by searock; 04-12-13 at 05:36 PM.

I think there are general reasons. I think most are universal, but there's probably a couple gender specific ones, along with the myriad of individual circumstances, including what you just mentioned. "Generalizing is bad", is a hypocritical statement. Think about it.

"Generalizing is bad", is a hypocritical statement. Think about it.
    Yeah it's ironic, I should have specified generalizing persons' characters and personalities based on some characteristics that have nothing to do with character and personality (such as gender, race, etc).

And yes, the general reasons are not gender specific (apart from the ones depending on societal background, which aren't due to gender itself - men would be acting the same way if the roles were reversed), they are universal and common to both men and women, so it's not a generalization in the sense I specified above.

Will you look in the mirror... You derailed a perfectly good thread with your snide remarks to Starnique so stop being the pot that called the kettle black.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

...any normal human being looks at his question and thinks hmm why do some women play hard to get?? they don't look at it and oh! he is generalizing--because its implicitly understood that obv no one thinks something as stupid as ALL women do it.

this is so petty!!!!!!!!
    BTW: Thanks for helping to do the exact same thing you critisize Sea for doing... which is derailing the thread.

SMH.

Wakeup, you are not derailing the thread. You are resurrecting it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast