+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it ok to date someone if you don't consider them long-term potential?

Is it ok to date someone if you don't consider them long-term potential?

I meet a lot of women I would date for the experience and physical intimacy / companionship, but I often feel reluctant to get involved because I know that they are not women I would marry or likely have a long-term relationship with.

Women, how do you feel about getting involved with a guy who has this point of view? Assuming I am upfront about not wanting anything serious anytime soon. Would you still expect something more? Is it wrong to date someone you know you wouldn't marry?

Not every woman is looking for a husband, so you have to weed out the ones who are looking for more.

Me no I wouldn't be that stupid to hope for more. We're not on the same page, it's a "B'bye".

There's nothing wrong with dating Mrs. Right Now casually while keeping an eye out for Mrs. Right. Just don't get roped into something you don't want accidentally... trust me, that's usually when Mrs. Right shows up.

I wasted a couple of decades that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertWQ View Post
    Assuming I am upfront about not wanting anything serious anytime soon.
    If you are upfront about what you want from the beginning, I see nothing wrong with casually dating. I personally wouldn't expect anything serious if a guy told me that he doesn't want anything serious... it's just common sense XD.

HIA has a valid point though. I made the same mistake: I stayed in a relationship that I never wanted with a guy who didn't believe me when I told him at the beginning that I wasn't looking for anything serious, for over 2 years. And I did meet Mr Right during those two years, and it was a mess.
    So just make sure you don't get sucked into relationships that you never wanted just because it's comfortable or simple that way, or because you don't want to hurt someone by breaking up with them, or whatever other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    So just make sure you don't get sucked into relationships that you never wanted just because it's comfortable or simple that way, or because you don't want to hurt someone by breaking up with them, or whatever other reason.
    This right here is what I meant.

My advice would be to make sure you don't be exclusive with Mrs Right Now. Even if you've had the 'nothing serious' conversation, being exclusive can confuse matters.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

At this time in my life, I wouldn't date a guy that told me he felt this way. I wouldn't let myself get too attached to him. I do have some guys that I just smoked with and had fun with because I already know we not going to get any further so I separate my emotions from them.

there have been guys that I really like but it didn't work out for whatever reason. At this time, I'm not wasting time so if I give him a chance, it's going to be because we both are looking for the same thing in a relationship. I'm talking to someone now and I'd be disappointed if it didn't work out because I feel I put effort in it and I like him. I've also learned the hard way about wasting and putting a lot of time into something that wasn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Starnique; 11-12-13 at 02:40 PM.

Mr. Right is very hard to find. Mr. Right Now can be a lot of fun.

Just don't lie & lead some woman into believing that the relationship has long term potential for you.

The vast majority of the women you meet aren't going to be a good enough match or won't be attractive enough for you to want to be with them long term.

Be upfront. Be honest. No games. Then get out there and bang as many women as you can.

Is it ok to date someone if you don't consider them long-term potential?

Yes, this arrangement is called "Friends with benefits" or simply FWB.

No, FWB is an entirely different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertWQ View Post
    I meet a lot of women I would date for the experience and physical intimacy / companionship, but I often feel reluctant to get involved because I know that they are not women I would marry or likely have a long-term relationship with.

Women, how do you feel about getting involved with a guy who has this point of view? Assuming I am upfront about not wanting anything serious anytime soon. Would you still expect something more? Is it wrong to date someone you know you wouldn't marry?
    As 'heart is aching' said, yeah, nothing wrong with dating Miss right now while being open to Mrs.Right so long as your honest with everything.
    and then there's this. When you do meet Mrs.Right, be totally honest about the past miss right now or it WILL bite you on the but. Don't bother with trying to save peoples feelings for the truth will be found regardless and if you weren't totally honest about all of it, deep mistrust issues will muck about in the pool of new.