+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Shy Girlfriend

Shy Girlfriend

Ok, so my girlfriend is a relationship-shy person (I am too, but not so much), she knows this and we both agree that we need to overcome this to get the best out of our relationship. we are going out to the park in the next few weeks and we are hoping that this will help. is there anything else I can do to help?

I hope your first step will work.

praise her when she does something outside of her comfort zone.

Honestly, you are doing it. I, myself, have always struggled with being extremely shy. What has helped was being around people who actually genuinely wanted to be around me. I've also dealt with self-esteem issues, and the thing is.... it is very hard to think so lowly of yourself when you find there are so many people who think so highly of you.

If you find you are not quite as shy as she is, then just lead by example. Open up to her to show her that it is safe for her to do the same. From time to time, you could even maybe go together to social events, and then make sure to involve her, but also not throw too much at her all at once. One thing I can tell you from experience that DOES NOT help is to take your significant other to a social event, then act like they might as well not even exist as you go about socializing and leaving them to fend for themselves. Just one of the many reasons I should have realized a LONG time ago that my ex was so wrong for me. If you are able to be more social, use that to your advantage by involving her in that. Little by little she will gain more confidence and be able to do it on her own.

All in all, just be a good person and a good boyfriend to her. Good luck.