+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriends Dad asking a strange request

Girlfriends Dad asking a strange request

So I am seeing a girl and will be meeting her parents in February but her Dad is ex army and works with an recruitment agency (i assume for the army or something related to that) and has asked me to send a CV to him and also talk to him on skype...

This may just be me but I find this strange and feel in a way its not right since her daughter isn't a job. I feel that by showing him my CV it isn't going to accomplish anything since I wrote my CV to get a job and was written with that in mind and doesn't really show who I am as a person but rather a potential worker or employee. Don't get me wrong I did better than average at school and am now working and earning a good wage and have nothing to hide.

I feel that I should try and say I'm not comfortable doing that but at the same time want to make a good impression with her parents and the fact he is ex army makes me feel he may be quite strict and may not take no as an answer.

Any thoughts or advice you guys could provide?

(off to sleep now but will respond to any replies tomorrow, thanks )

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just fill this out; at the very least, he will think you have a decent sense of humor.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/goodwill-librarian/application-to-date-my-daughter/380362638668913
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Funny, but so full of sexism D:

OP, don't send your CV, that's crazy. Send the funny one that vashti suggested, or just tell him what you told us. It's crazy that your girlfriend would think it a normal request?!
    Last edited by searock; 27-12-13 at 04:14 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My daughter thought it was normal. Then again, I also have strange boys who come to pick her up pose for a photo in front of their car with the license plate showing. lol

She likes boys with good senses of humor.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

She thinks it's a normal request?! I dunno, I'd tell my father to stop joking if he said something like "hey ask your boyfriend to send me his CV"... o.O

Talking on skype seems like a more reasonable request, even though still pretty awkward IMO... I mean, doesn't he trust his daughter's judgment? Isn't she an adult, who is he to butt into her business like this? It just sounds so controlling and patronizing.

Unless there's something the OP isn't telling us, for example that there's a huge age difference or something? That would definitely explain the extra concern.

There is a gap of 2 years between us and she is 18 and I am 20 but at this day and age I deem this normal but other may disagree. I did find it a strange request and think I'll need to talk to her more about it. I don't mind skyping since I skype with her a lot as it is since she does live quite far from me.

Dont do either! This clearly states he has no respect for his daughter or you....completely out of line. This chick would have to have a gold studded pussy for me to continue dating her.

Dont see anything bad here. Maybe guy just want to get you know better. After all you dating his dauther. While she isnt the job he might be. The situation with jobs in military is better than in civil. However you have nothing to lose just a few clicks to send a CV.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I would skype him and just try to calmly and politely explain your side to him...that you're not looking at her as a job but someone you truly care about. But if he tells you it's only to make sure you have good intentions, then maybe send the CV because in that light it becomes symbolic- that you're willing to do something like that as a gesture to show him you have nothing to hide. It's a little screwed up, but my mother was the same way...said if I was going to date an older guy, he'd have to come by the house to see me and then show documentation of his insurance if I were to get into a car with him... Look how that turned out. lol

Don't send the CV he is stepping over boundaries is none of his concern, only talk to him on skype if you want to, but that is it, then he can get to know you a bit more before meeting you in Feb. I am sure if his daughter your gf gave your name he has already stalked you to learn info on you, so don't bother giving him anymore. How would he like it if your parents did that to his daughter? He'd probably be outraged.

You're going to meet them soon enough. Fvck this old man and his boat he road in on. The guys a controlling asshole. I'm a father and would never dream of doing something so creepy
    Last edited by surfhb2; 28-12-13 at 11:07 AM.

Will you two be moving closer to each other anytime soon?

Ok, I hope and pray you read this - Unless you are wanting to join the service...

GET OUT NOW! OUT OUT OUT OUT!

The dad is trying to get people to join the army. Military recruiters see EVERY young man as a prospect. If he has your contact info, he will call, write, stop by your place or work or school, you will not be able to use the restroom without him trying to bug you. Military recruiters are very aggressive about pursuing people to join. They are friendly and intimidating at the same time. They are the kind of people you have a hard time telling "No". It is hard to stand up to them. They will say ANYthing you want to hear.
    They are very good at acting friendly so it is hard to say no.
    They are very good at acting intimidating so it is hard to say no.
    Oh did i already make those two points? Good, you didn't miss it.

DO NOT send your CV. Do not date this girl. It is a TRAP.

Ever see that movie "Pet Cemeratry?" Remember at the end when the bloody ghost (killed cause he got hit by a truck) is begging and screaming for that guy to avoid that "sacred ground" not to bury his dead wife? That ghost is who I feel like right now.

DON'T DO IT!
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

NO!!! don't give him your CV, wtf.
    Did he ask you himself or have his daughter ask you, fact she even asked you for him is eff'd up. Scared of daddy is she?