+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I want to get out of my relationship, but I'm afraid of being alone.

I want to get out of my relationship, but I'm afraid of being alone.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a little over 2 years now. She lives with me, but we no longer have a sexual relationship, we hardly even kiss and no longer sleep in the same bed. I'm positive we'll never get engaged and I would rather be without her, but I'm scared of being lonely. Yesterday she made the remark that her cousin was getting engaged to a guy that has money and how lucky she is. I said "so money matters when it comes to love?" she said "yes" Now I'm not rich, but she does live with me for free, I buy her whatever she wants, and her college is being paid for. I'm getting the feeling she's just using me. What can I do to get rid of her. I feel like I just don't have the backbone to do it, but it has to be done..

Living in the same house, no sexual relationship, not sleeping in the same bed anymore and you hardly kiss...

I can tell you from personal experience that there's not a worse "lonely" than being lonely in a house with other people in it.

Simple.

Just end the relationship, tell her she can still live with you as a house mate, but will have to pay rent.

She will soon leave. Don't do this to yourself dude. You could be missing out on that perfect person whilst you waste your time with this one.

I want to get out of my relationship, but I'm afraid of being alone.

She is using you and that's not fair on you. I have met a lot of women that will just stay with a man for financial security and there is no worse woman in my eyes.
    Just tell her that it is over, she can stay until she finds somewhere to live, maybe give a time limit to search otherwise it could go on forever and cut off all of your funds.
    She will have to leave sooner or later, then you can focus on yourself and be happy.
    Don't let someone else suck the life out of you, it's okay to be selfish sometimes.
    You have all the weapons you need... Now fight!

Are you paying for her schooling as well, bob?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Wow really?? that's all you are worried about? I would be resentful for her taking advantage of me....let it make you so pissed, that being alone will help you be at peace, instead of being sucked dry by this $%nt. Being alone after this bs should be exciting....you WILL be rich, because she's not sucking your wallet dry. Go on a nice trip some where tropical and hook up with a hottie in a skimmpy bikini.

Tip to break the loneliness.....get a dog.

I could understand if OP loved her, was trying everything to make it work etc. Basically blinded by love. But it sounds to me like both have given up, he's afraid of been alone and she's just happy to keep using him as and when suits.

Trust me, been alone isn't so bad. Freedom, get out with mates, get a dog or a cat.

Someone else will come along, someone who is much better.