View Poll Results: Which option is better?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • One mutual journal

2 100.00%
  • Two seperate journals

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Valentine's Day gift advice (relationship journal)

Valentine's Day gift advice (relationship journal)

I have been in a relationship with this great guy and I'm extremelly happy. Everything's just perfect. That's why I put in an extra thought in the Valentine's Day gift.

I'm gonna get him a wallet because his current one has gotten in a rough shape. But I wanted to add an extra touch.

He has quite a bad memory so he doesn't remember all these cute little details from our days together. I often talk about them and he feels bad that he doesn't remember as much as I do. The other thing is that I'm good with remembering the stuff that happen but I'm horrible with dates. So I came up with the idea of keeping a relationship journal. I did a little research (text messages, facebook, dates on pictures etc) and found out dates of most of our romantic times together (first kiss, first dinner date and other memorable things) in these past seven months.

The thing is I don't know how to present it. I have two variations in mind and it would be nice if you helped me pick one (or recommend something else). They are:
    1. Write all the dates down and describe all these events from my perspective. Give him the journal for Valentine's Day so he can read it and propose that he be the one who continues writing in it for the next 7 months. After that we switch again and it continues as long as we're together. It would be like writing romantic letters to each other.
    2. Get two journals. One for me and one for him. We would write both in them for certain amount of time and then switch them so we can read them. It could happen after every month maybe?

So what do you think? I'm leaning toward option one because I like the thought of having something that we both use and love. It would be the only thing that is equally mine and his; that is ours, and I think it would be a lovely picture of our relationship. But still, I'm not sure. I want this to be perfect because he means a lot to me. Please help.

I made a poll to summarize your opinions

I would go with option one but I'd do it differently and here's why. You don't want it to seem forced, the writing in the journal. It sort of takes the fun out of it. Then if 7 months go by and he doesn't write, you may feel some sort of way. Then he may do it out of obligation. You want it to be special and natural. So I would get one and share it and propose writing in it whenever either one of us felt the need to or had something special that was personally memorable to us and then leave the journal around so either one of you can find it and read the special memories, love letters or whatever.

Its a good idea but I would make it more flexible but you can do it how you want. Option one if you must choose one of them.

Starnique, I love the way you think! I completely agree with you. It would be better that way. Thank you so much for your advice!

It's funny I did that once in my twenties with a guy shared a journal. It was fun, but sooner or later it kind of fizzled out! lol There's only so many times you can tell someone you love them in writing, or keep the writing flowing.