+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Does my best friend love me back?

Does my best friend love me back?

I am 16 years old and, as far as I can remember, never had a crush. I was never interested in dating or love, even in elementary school when all the other girls had "boyfriends". I have always thought of myself as asexual, or just a "late bloomer". It really surprised me when I began getting feelings for my best friend, and for the sake of privacy on here I'll call her Ashley.

Ashley told me in seventh grade that she was bisexual, and that never affected our friendship at all. But lately I can't get her out of my head. Everything from reading a book to grocery shopping makes me think of her, and even when I'm with my other friends (who are just as good of friends) I can't help but thinking I'd rather be with Ashley. I have dreams and fantasies of her and it isn't unusual for them to be sexual. I am always asking her for advice on how to dress and find myself trying to be pretty, all to impress her. To me, I have no doubt that this is love I'm feeling, except for the fact that I'm never nervous around her. In fact, I feel more comfortable around her than many other people.

It really bothered me when Ashley revealed she had a crush on a different girl, and currently they are dating. I have cried over how jealous I am. Ashley is a naturally shy person, but when she openly kissed her girlfriend I knew she must seriously be in love. Recently, they have been fighting, and Ashley has even told me that she doesn't think it will last.

I think maybe Ashley has a crush on me. Even before she had a girlfriend, she hugged me at least once a day, and still continues to do so. She often calls me "Her Sarah". She used to brag on how perfect her relationship was, but now she comes to me for advice on how to fix it (even though I am seriously confused about love). One day, as we were walking out of school, she held my hand. At first I tried to think nothing of it, but she kept showing it off to our friends ("What do you mean I have a girlfriend?") and laughing about it.

So am I imagining it, or does Ashley have feelings for me? I can't just push her away, and I don't want to ruin our relationship as it is. She is one of my best friends and I would be lost without her. What should I do?

The only thing you can do is just tell her how you feel, but make sure she knows that if she doesn't feel the same way, that you hope to continue the friendship and there won't be any pressure.