+ Follow This Topic

Thread: online friend - should I meet him?

online friend - should I meet him?

I came out of a bad relationship almost 2 months ago. I met this guy online and I said that I was just looking for friends, he said that's all he wants too. He's from Canada and I'm from UK. I decided to give him my number a a couple of weeks ago because he wanted to call me and I thought 'why not?' Anyway, since then he has called me everyday and more recently, twice a day. I have sent him photos of myself and he says I'm beautiful and hot and yesterday, he said that he doesn't mean to sound weird but he enjoys chatting to me on the phone and feels like his day is not complete until he has spoken to me on the phone,. Anyway, he has family in UK and says he's visiting them in a couple of months and would like to meet up with me too when he comes over. I'm not sure whether I should or not, do you guys think this guy is interested in more than friendship?

I have to be honest and say that most men do not usually invest so much time in a women unless they want to be more than friends. You now need to decide if you are happy to meet, in a situation, that could potentially become romantic.

From what you have said, it sounds as though this will be the first time you have met anyone from the internet. If you decide to meet, you must let someone who you can trust, know what you are doing and where you are going. Pre-arrange a time to call them to let them know you are ok.

I have in the late 1990's met several women from the internet. 75 percent of those meets, turned into a relationship but let me tell you that if he lives in Canada, long distance relationships can be very hard to maintain. You need to think if you can do this and if this guys suggests romance to you then you must not get carried away with the moment, or lead him on into something you have no intention of pursuing. If you can do it, then fine, go right ahead!
    Last edited by MrKnobby; 15-03-14 at 12:17 AM.

What does it matter what he's interested in. Jeez. Imagine this scenario. You meet up. It's wonderful together. But oh gosh, he lives in Canada, that's like thousands of fecking miles away. Why not be a mature person and if you want a partner why not try looking for one in (gash) the same country perhaps even the same town. Or would that just be too easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    What does it matter what he's interested in. Jeez. Imagine this scenario. You meet up. It's wonderful together. But oh gosh, he lives in Canada, that's like thousands of fecking miles away. Why not be a mature person and if you want a partner why not try looking for one in (gash) the same country perhaps even the same town. Or would that just be too easy?
    Well, he told me that he intends on moving to UK anyway. I met him on a 'friends' website, not a dating one as it was never my intention to look for a relationship online. I just joined that website out of boredom because I like to chat to people. I enjoy chatting to this guy and find him funny, he also told me that he wasn't looking for a relationship. I just find it strange that he calls me twice a day, sends me 2 or 3 emails everyday and compliments me all the time and saying stuff like I make him smile and how he wishes he met someone like me a long time ago because he has had some bad relationships too. He told me on the phone yesterday 'the best relationships start as friends' and was telling me that I'm gorgeous and have a good personality, know how to hold a conversation. I'm just confused about what this guy really wants.

Thanks for your reply MrKnobby, he's visiting in 2 months so I still have plenty of time to decide whether I wanna meet him or not. I suppose because I've already had bad relationships, I'm just really suspicious about guys now. My ex was very controlling and I'm worried about making any more mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie2k14 View Post
    Well, he told me that he intends on moving to UK anyway.
    Don't you think that sounds just a teeny weeny bit suspicious. And he's calling you twice or three times a day? Wouldn't you say that's a bit over the top?

Bet he's a nut job.

He sounds as though he has planed this from the start what with the whole, "the best relationships start as friends" comment and all. If you intend to meet him I'd be careful and meet in a public place at first and maybe have a friend with you too so that you have a chance to asses his character in person with an added sense of safety.
    Nevio

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Don't you think that sounds just a teeny weeny bit suspicious. And he's calling you twice or three times a day? Wouldn't you say that's a bit over the top?

Bet he's a nut job.
    yeah, that's what I mean. I enjoy chatting to him but he's kinda starting to freak me out and I'm just thinking what is he up to. He sounds normal on the phone and just like a nice guy and very funny but yeah, he does seem a bit over the top with his phone calls and emails. He said that when he comes over to UK to visit his family, meeting me would be the highlight of the trip. I like him and I suppose I would like to meet him but him being over the top just makes me suspicious. My ex was also over the top when I first met him and seemed too good to be true and he turned out to be controlling and possessive. Btw, thanks for your replies guys .